What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Bowhunter57

I've been using a .223, but have had several "runners" that I've had a hard time recoverying. So, I decided to go with a caliber that would have a little more knock-down power and purchased a Stevens .25-06. I'm still putting the reloading materials together, so I've not had a chance to shoot it at the range or hunt with it, yet. Based on ballistics, this rifle should be the "Hammer of Thor". :D

What's your caliber of choice, for hunting coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I was saving up for a Remington model 700 22-250 till i came across a deal i counted pass up. A Browning A-Bolt 300.wsm brand new for 500 dollars. I had it looked at and there is nothing wrong with it. So i just bought that and its coming in tomorrow. So currently i am shooting a 22LR Mossberg, and a 22LR Marlin for yotes as well as carrying a 12 gauge

depends on if i'm out for fur or just to get rid of them. For fur I use a 22-250 and as an all around gun i'll use a 308.

The 25-06 will be a nice flat shooting round for you. I'd pick up some match type ammo if you're going to try and keep fur. The lighter bullets tend to frag pretty easily and cause large holes.

xdeano

25-06 will deffinately drop them. If you want to keep fur shoot the heavier match bullets, but if you just want them dead the light weight hp will haul *** and put a sofball hole in them.

Depends on what part of the country your living in but for me out here in the west
hands down...257 Wby an 100 TSX's

east coast say NC or Tenn....for me 221 Fireball(cause I like the cartridge,and normally have a LVSF within arms reach)but whatever I have in hand will usually do just fine

Last edited:
This is my first post so hi everyone . I use a .17-204 moving 30 grain gold at about 4150 fps it still has some throttle left but I am happy with the groups and velocity I am getting. I have used a .223 , .22-250, .204 and a 17 rem.

rjh, welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

My go to for convenience /walk about are my AR's in .223, but for dead nuts accurate and short walks - .243 Rem-Varmint. I am interested in the Olympic Arms .243 WSM. I could see trading my Bush/varmint for, as they are the same style. I impressed myself the other day with my M-4 , Burris bdc , clang the steel 300 yds - no problem. Watch your backdrop and ricochets. :cool:

Most days I have carried a .223 AR but on my next trip will take a .243 Remington 700 to have some more "reach."

Last edited:
6 X45mm. Shilen Select Match, 1-12 twist, Hornaday 75g V-Max @ 2825fps. Not extreamly fast, but darn accurate. Reliable killer of coyotes out to 250yds. For longer ranges, .22-.243 Winchester. Shilen Select Match, 1-8 twist, Sierra 80g Match King @ 3500fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.