Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

Pbailey

I was thinking to myself today...with all of the off breeds of the 7mm Remington Magnum, do they really offer that much of an advantage? I am no shooting professional and will never claim to be! but I was looking through my reloading book and there is the 7mm Remington mag, 7wsm, 7stw, 7 ultra mag, 7mm-08, 7 short action ultra mag, and the list goes on. Lots and lots of options! actually kind of crazy how so many different rounds have been produced off of the 7mm. But I guess the 308 brass has brought many many new rounds to the world of shooters as well. Anyway, just some food for though. Gave me something to ponder on for a while today. I know that the 7 STW proved itself to be a really productive caliber, but is there really much that these new super ultra short hyper mags do that the boring little 7mm Remington cant?:D gun)

Have a good week everyone!

I was thinking to myself today...with all of the off breeds of the 7mm Remington Magnum, do they really offer that much of an advantage? I am no shooting professional and will never claim to be! but I was looking through my reloading book and there is the 7mm Remington mag, 7wsm, 7stw, 7 ultra mag, 7mm-08, 7 short action ultra mag, and the list goes on. Lots and lots of options! actually kind of crazy how so many different rounds have been produced off of the 7mm. But I guess the 308 brass has brought many many new rounds to the world of shooters as well. Anyway, just some food for though. Gave me something to ponder on for a while today. I know that the 7 STW proved itself to be a really productive caliber, but is there really much that these new super ultra short hyper mags do that the boring little 7mm Remington cant?:D gun)

Have a good week everyone!
Not a damned thing wrong with the 7mm Rem Magnum.

It just lacks the necessary energy for large game once you get past about 900yds.

As for the others, the WSM, 7mm-08, some people like the performance of the 7mm bullets but want a short action for a shorter/lighter rig.

Of course they can also be utilized in an AR format whereas the longer overall length of the long action 7's cannot and they are gaining popularity with AR format lovers.

Well that makes sense!

As far as reloading goes for the 7mm, I had someone tell me that the belt on the regular 7mm sometimes makes it a little difficult for loading, is that why the 7wsm is popular? because it doesnt have the belt?

Well that makes sense!

As far as reloading goes for the 7mm, I had someone tell me that the belt on the regular 7mm sometimes makes it a little difficult for loading, is that why the 7wsm is popular? because it doesnt have the belt?
No belted mags head space from the belt. It makes them a little harder to get the head space set exactly right on, and over time they tend to separate at the belt if you don't pay close attention when inspecting your brass for reloading.

I reloaded thousands of 7mm Mag and 7STW and saw only a couple starting to separate though. Never had a "case failure".

At one point I seriously considered rebarreling my 7STW to 7mm Rum and just decided I'm pretty happy with what I have and I'm smart enough to be careful about evaluating my cases when I reload them.

Whats wrong with it....NADA!! Its just that its NOT the latest and greatest 7mm WhizBang...or 7mmGeezelPete or..( you get the idea) Plus most of the new whiz bangs are shorter..so you save weight..( the weight of about 5/8" of receiver action weight!!!)

Whats wrong with it....NADA!! Its just that its NOT the latest and greatest 7mm WhizBang...or 7mmGeezelPete or..( you get the idea) Plus most of the new whiz bangs are shorter..so you save weight..( the weight of about 5/8" of receiver action weight!!!)
Now now, you are forgetting that you also save that massive weight of 5/8" less stock!

The only problem I've ever seen with the 7 mag is that most most of the older guns do not have a fast enough twist to shoot the heavyweight high BC VLD bullets. They do great with up to 160 grain bullets but won't stablize the heavier ones.

The only problem I've ever seen with the 7 mag is that most most of the older guns do not have a fast enough twist to shoot the heavyweight high BC VLD bullets. They do great with up to 160 grain bullets but won't stablize the heavier ones.

There is a lot of truth in the above statement. I shot a 7 Rem Mag for 25 years and it did everything I could hope for but then you get involved in places like this and think you need at least a 180 gr pill and now your old barrel is the wrong twist.

Thats because the rifles in "days of yore" werent planned for these kinds of applications. They were setup to sling a pill of "max of X size" so many yards to kill something....not punch holes in paper to brag about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.