What's Wrong With Barnes Bullets?

Proof of what I say about the vocabulary here. Even some of us that are old hands can get hung up on the language at times.

True, I know now that I should say "solid copper bullets" , as the term "solid" alone holds a different meaning I was not aware of.

Good to know.

Jeff

Last edited:
True, I know now that I should say "solid copper bullets" , as the term "solid" alone holds a different meaning I was not aware of.

Good to know.

Jeff

To me, "solid copper bullet" means the same as "solid". I know what you mean when you are saying so it isn't any big deal or confusing. I call any expanding solid bullet a mono or monometal. There are non-expanding copper solids and expanding copper bullets. I think the term solid to a lot of folks means a bullet that maintains its overall shape and integrity.

There are non-expanding copper solids and expanding copper bullets.

Are the "expanding copper bullets" not solid copper? I think maybe you guys could be accused of nit picking just a bit. But that is only one mans opinion..:D

What ever, its all good and the op has gotten good answers. So I suggest we don't turn this thread away from the OP's original question on minute technicalities. lightbulb

Over and out.

Jeff

Are the "expanding copper bullets" bullets not solid copper? I think maybe you guys could be accused of nit picking just a bit. But that is only one mans opinion..:D

What ever, its all good and the op has gotten good answers. So I suggest we don't turn this thread away from the OP's original question on minute technicalities. lightbulb

Over and out.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm just trying to convey my understanding. I could care less what any body calls a solid or whatever. :rolleyes::)

Good to know.

Jeff
We're Old Jeff! Not so very long ago it simply meant a solid lead cast bullet. Not so long after that it meant solid as in ball/solid nose copper jacketed.

Then came along Barnes with their solid copper bullets, and the market has expanded from there dramatically.

Now we have so many more types of bullets out the lingo gets very technical and very specific very quickly.

Nothing at all is wrong with a Barnes bullet but like every bullet made it has it's limitation, I can take them or other copper bullets down to about 2100 fps before they start turning while in the animal or the wound channel is so small that you really need to sever the spinal cord mid neck or higher to deliver a lethal blow.

For my 6.5 SS this year with thee best 6.5 140gr copper bullet available that puts me at about 850 yards, with the 140 Berger and the same rules I'm at 1000 yards. So I test a lot of bullets but in the end I will stick with the one that gives me the best balance of ballistics and permanent wound channel. No bullet will leave with me hunting that is marginal in the accuracy department.

We all develop a feel for loading a brand of bullet, I can usually dial in a load with a Berger bullet and shoot drops easily with one box of bullets, I'm fairly confident with the Cutting Edge copper bullets after this last year, and although I've shot Barnes bullets longer than any other bullet I've not been able to get the long range accuracy from them that gives me warm fuzzy feelings, so what I take with me hunting is also reflected by what I have a feel for loading.

In my experience with Barnes TSX bullets, they have been very, very accurate and don't seem to care too much where they are seated at. I did some longer range expansion tests in wood with the 180's out of my 300 Wby at 775 yards and 1100 yards. They were leaving the muzzle at 3270fps. At 775 yards expansion pretty much stopped and only a small portion of the tip was peeled. At 1100 yards the bullet looked unfired other than the rifling gouges. I wanted to be able to take game out to and past 1000 yards and it was at this time I switched to the fragmenting bullet camp. Since then I've used all Bergers, 168 VLD, 210 VLD, 215 Hybrid, and now in the new rifle 230 Hybrids. I have reliably taken elk from 70 yards to just over 1000 yards. I've learned to load the heaviest Berger possible for the caliber and then I'm still covered (meaning I have adequate penetration) at close range even with the higher impact velocities.

I did some longer range expansion tests in wood with the 180's out of my 300 Wby at 775 yards and 1100 yards. They were leaving the muzzle at 3270fps. At 775 yards expansion pretty much stopped and only a small portion of the tip was peeled. At 1100 yards the bullet looked unfired other than the rifling gouges. .

Then things haven't changed since I long ago left the Barnes fold. This same senerio occurred a number of times at short distance for me when I was using them. If they don't expand inside of 100 yds or outside 700 yds then all you guys using them know what you are dealing with. I will say they will flat go through most everything which is totally different from a penetrate/fragment design.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.