What's this gun worth?

ProfessorM

I hope this is the right forum for this question...........I can't find it anywhere on the web so I figured this is the best place to ask. I have a Model 700 22-250 made in 1992 (I am pretty sure) that has a Mossyoak Bottomland Camo synthetic stock and 24in. barrel to match. Camo Redfield 3-9x40 with Redfield bases and rings (camo as well). Very good condition, I would guess 500 rounds max shot through it. I am toying with the idea of selling it and upgrading to a newer 700 SF Varmit 22-250 w/26 inch barrel once I get this reloading bit figured out! If this gun was yours, what would you ask for it?

Thanks a lot.

Unless of collective value, or a recent commodity, I always take 1/2 of new (even if it's still new) as my tipping point for purchases and sales of 'non-new'. And anything leaving a store is immediately non-new in my book.
Same with tools, components, cars, boats, AVequipment, etc.

IAW, If I'm not willing to accept 1/2 of new, I don't need to be selling it. And If the non-new price goes over half, I opt to purchase new instead.

Hey, you asked..
But ultimately, anything is worth just what someone will pay, if you can hold out for it.

If you sell it to a gun shop, usually they will give you 60% of what they think they can sell it for. So, if a rifle brand new was 700 dollars and the gun shop thinks they can sell it for $590.00, they will give you 590x60/100= $354.00 which as you can see it's about half from new.

What I do, I don sell it to the gun shop but instead I put up on line for sale and the local classified section of the newspaper asking $550.00.

That means I would be selling it for 40 or $50.00 less than the local gun shop but almost $200.00 more than they would give you.

I just sold a handgun using the same logic and it sold in two weeks.

Have you taken a look at Gunbroker.com? It would probably be hard to find that exact configuration, but you should be able to get an idea of what they are going for.

Why sell it if you plan to turn around and buy another Rem700 in the same caliber. Why not buy a new stock and put a new barrel on it. That would be a real upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.