What's the recoil like?

Same family as all of the others mentioned. Heavier bullets than the 243 but not as heavy as your 6.5's with similar recoil to the 260 and 243. Its all a personal preference thing. Any of those will work as long as she practices and hits animals in the right spots. Its all about being competent with what you have.

For my 7mm-08 I load using Nosler 140 AB's, with 39.0gr of Varget for my starting load. I'll probably give 40.0 a try next loading.

You could load some Berger 140 VLD's with 39.0gr of Varget and that would be an excellent deer load, too.

Only reason I didn't use Bergers is b/c I don't have any 140's (just 168's and 180's), and that gun has always been sighted in from the very beginning for 139-140gr bullets.

Im in the process of getting a 7mm-08 built-up! Stiller action; Brux barrel...Jewell trigger...laminated stock by Stockys. Hoping it will be as nice as the others Ive had put together

Hit her in the shoulder as hard as you can, then the recoil will feel very LIGHT.

For older gents with bad shoulders the 7mm-08 comes highly recommended for ballistic performance to 300 yds. Weight of the rifle and the quality of a recoil pad will be a huge factor in recoil reduction. For example my 7.5 Lb (unscoped) TC Icons in 308, 30-06 produce neglible recoil. Then again I never shoot off hand at game, always use some sort of additional support under the elbow.

I believe that the fit of the rifle us often overlooked. Imo it is more important than the caliber. I bought my wife her first rifle years ago. Ir was a 308 win. The rifle weighed about 8-8.5 lbs ready to go but she always said it was way to much and never wanted to shoot. About 4 years ago I was working loads for my uncles new tikka T3 in a 7rem mag and my wanted to shoot it. It had a shortened stock on it due to my uncles smaller build. I told her she could shoot it but recommend she not because it kicks more than her 308. With the shorter stock fitting her perfectly she shot it many times and somehow a few days later I lost my 338win mag and she got my uncles tikka. There is no doubt a
Magnum will kick more than a 308 but fitted right and it makes all the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.