What's the most affordable way to successfully hunt an elk?

Just a take your quad or a truck. You cant drive up to the elk and shoot him so who cares? Your going to hunt. What you drive the carcass out on is irrelevant. Buy some good boots. Blisters suck.

Norsepeak is pretty spot on about traffic and elk. Shoot, I live in N. Idaho along Interstate 90 and there are elk behind my house and right next to the interstate. It's steep and very brushy where I live but there are elk here year round.

The thing is these elk are educated. They know the program and when the pressure is on they just head into the thick brush and then at night come out and hit waterholes and do their socializing.

We've taken plenty of elk in eyesite of the freeway. If there is good habitat like cover, water supply, and feed there most likely will be elk even in high traffic areas.

My favorite is backpack hunting as I am geared up well for this. But I've seen too many elk shot on or by a road and cannot say that they aren't can't be found at traveled locations like roads or trails.

Do it the easy and affordable way. First buy a limited entry Cow only tag. This may change your expectations, but it will also likely guarantee you an elk for around $200 for a non-resident tag.

Learn a bit about elk, phyical conditioning, and take home some meat when you are done. No need to spend a lot of time and money on a bull tag to likely end up with years of frustration while you learn what a monumental task a solo or backpack elk can be. Start with a high chance of success for low cost and learn the game at your pace. It ain't nearly as easy as the private land "professionals" on TV make it look. Plus they have an entourage of hired hands.

Best of luck.

I like late season cow elk hunts on private ranches. You have a great chance to kill one, help to get it out and you are about the only hunter there at that time, so you are "less likely" to get shot by some idiot!

CAM just brought up a really good point and it's something that has been on my mind as well. It's all fine and dandy to hike in miles and miles from the truck, but the last I heard elk were pretty heavy and to pack one out can be as difficult as the walk back to the truck.

Before I go on an elk hunt like this I'm going to look aweful hard at one of those game carts, or sleds, but that's even more gear to pack in.

I do like the idea of shooting one on or near the road. I've read that a lot of guys try to do that with moose.

It would be a good idea to have a way to contact an outfitter who would pack the elk out horseback if necessary.

Elk hunting is more of a "SMALL TEAM SPORT".
It's nice to hunt with other people and get help with the haul out that's for sure!!
also a spotter is nice to have. We hunt alot in pairs.
If you think about it 4 eyes are better than 2 and elk are herd animals so it's a good chance you both could get an animal (BUTT THAT'S TWICE THE WORK)!!!

We have a standing rule, If you take a shot you better get your *** over there and check for blood and such. If you don't want to go there no business shooting!!
Even if you think it's a clean miss, get your butt over there!!!
This has stopped the kentucky windage shooting and made hunters think before firing, everybody get's a little excited about seeing game but when it's getting dark and you know you have to cross to the other side of the canyon they start to think about the shot.
If you shoot you goooooo..... NO BUTTS

Elk are like gold, could be anywhere, it's finding them that's fun!
Elk are habit animals also so use it to your advantage.
We like a "FEW" other hunters in the woods seems to move Elk around.
Some of our best places depend on what other hunters plan to do.
When they say we are going to hunt this draw, we go sit on the excape route.
The better you know the Elk and the mountain the better your chances of killing one.

Put in for a Colo cow tag only $250 vs $500 and lots more cows than bulls, learn the game and then get some bull tags and have fun.

Don't get hung up on killing something it will come, enjoy your time in the mountains.

The best way to see Elk is only have a deer tag! LOL

CAM
Part about the deer tag I know for sure is very true from personal experience

Unless you have someone that has already hunted the area you want to go to or someone willing to give you some first hand knowledge of the area, the first hunt might but just as much of a scouting trip as a hunting trip unless you can get out there ahead of time to do a little scouting. Yes you can do a lot of digital scouting but nothing beats boots on the ground. A topo map can only tell you so much. I'm not saying you can't be successful your first trip but it can be pretty hard.

A lot of outfitters offer semi guided or unguided pack in hunts. How these are conducted varies from guide to guide but can be an affordable way to do things. These guys most likely are not going to give you the prime spots if they offer fully guided but they are going to get you into some good places. They want you to come back or pass their name off to other hunters.

A comfortable week longs food, tent and other supplies can be really hard to get on a quad or on your back in one trip. If you do not already have the correct supplies, unless you plan to use them more than once, this could cost a lot and might be better off going with a guide.

I'm not trying to discourage you because there are a lot of people that go out and do it on their own…I'm just being realistic at least based off my experience.

He may be stilll trying to carry that big bull out.
I didn't check the posting date.;)
Oops I didn't see the date either. Still valid points I made. Now I need to go back and read all the posts. Curious to see what the outcome was

Since you ain't got no moneys I'm assuming you have all the time in the world to spend in the woods. You should do that. You'll figure it out.