What's the minimum power for comfort to 500-600 yrds for varmint

Re: What\'s the minimum power for comfort to 500-600 yrds for varmint

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know from you all what would be the minimum powered scope needed for hunting small game in the 8"-10" sizes up to 600 yrds and be comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a 4X16 or 3.5X15 and find it perfectly adaquate........... 10 power I think would be adequate for some.....

A 10X with fine crosshair and clear glass. I have a couple of Burris Fullfields 3-9X and the crosshairs are too thick for small game at those distances and the glass is not clear enough. I have an old Lyman All American 10X and it will do a good job but is hard to deal with under 50 yards. I do manage to kill squirrels with it (20-30 yards) but more than a few get away because the field of view is limited.

Buffalobob, makes an excelent point resolution is the KING in optics........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it was me and I was trying to kill rabbits to eat at 600 yards, which means trying to hit them in the head or front quarters at least, and if I wanted to shoot the head off a grouse at 10 yards, all with the same scope and gun; I would go with something on the order of 4-16 variable with a good focus system and a fine crosshair.

The scope and gun I am referencing are old and single power glass is just the way it was done 30 years ago. I can get by with it and am used to it but another person would probably find it hard to use. Admittedly that gun hasn't killed any rabbits at 600 yards (about 400 yards is its best) but the optically power and quality of the scope is good enough.

I don't think you have to see their eyes, but you do have to resolve their head. I was watching Mama Groundhog yesterday at 700 yards and it is really more about clarity than power.

Sure a 4.5x14 would do, but a 6.5x20 sure makes it easier to place your shot.

Inukshuk , since you mentioned varmints out to 600 yards : a small Pdog at that distance would require at least 16X for my old eyes ( and preferably MORE ) .....and even then I would want a very fine Reticle . I sure wish I had eyes like some guys who say they can do with 10X or 12X at that distance . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk , since you mentioned varmints out to 600 yards : a small Pdog at that distance would require at least 16X for my old eyes ( and preferably MORE ) .....and even then I would want a very fine Reticle . I sure wish I had eyes like some guys who say they can do with 10X or 12X at that distance . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% one's eyes will dictate the minimum power ......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I believe it now. Yesterday I went out to do some tests with my 30-06 and IOR 3-18 scope at 475 yrds ranged. I put the power at 10 and was doing okay but the target wasn't very big in my scope, then did some shots at 18 which was definitely more relaxing, but have to say that my shots weren't better, just easier on the eyes at 18x. I'm starting to think that 24x would be ideal, cause one could see the prey better more relaxed.
Now I have been looking for a 24x that isn't bulky, cause I will be crawling through the tundra on all fours and don't want anything big and heavy. What I would like isn't the ideal because of that, so for now the best option found is "CZ 527 Varmint in .223 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm with mildot and side parallax. It measures only 13" long. Just wondering if the turrets are numbered and have a return to zero mark. There's also the new Bushnell tactical which would be brighter, but also bigger hmmmm??

I have a CZ 527 varmint with a 6-24 4200 scope and like the setup well. My gun is very picky on what it shoots well. It groups my handloads well and some blackhills amo well but two comletly diff pts of impact. 2'' apart for the groups at 100 yards. I would probably pick the 4-16 4200 because it has a little shorter tube and seems to look best on the fairly compact CZ 527.

Shooting with a silencer on a 22.250,when you get busy the heat haze wipes out the sight picture on 10x.This also would be a concideration with high magnification for a busy varminter.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HMMM, I'm 67 and have no problem with 10X at that distance. Not to sound smart, but have you been to a eye doctor recently?

Ahab , I go for an Exam once a year , and although I have severe astigmatism , my shooting eye is corrected to 20/20. I also worked in Optics my whole career , so I know enough about Optics / Diopter Adds ....to ask for special Lenses for my various needs . No offense taken . I have never seen any Crosshair Brand which would not pretty much blot out a small Pdog at 600 MEASURED Yards . I don't even like a 12X at 400 Yards , but that's personal preference . Are you sure you were looking thru that 10X at a small Varmint at a measured 600 Yards ? Which Scope and Reticle , and which Varmint ? I was using a 16X Leupold which has a Fine crosshair at 600-650 yards and wanted MORE ! And Ahab ... are ya sure you were not looking at the White Whale thru that 10X ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.