Whats the "Hottest" 30 caliber?

G

If you were going to build (have built) the fastest, most accurate, 30 caliber, what would it be and why?

Don
smile.gif

how concerned are you with barrel life????

I have shot a 300 rem ultra mag and it wallops, but will burn a barrel out in less than 1000 rounds.

My 308 is more accurate and has less than half the recoil. One of the guns has atleast 3000 rounds through it and shows no signs of throat erosion problems.

what do you really want to do with this rifle, and maybe I can give suggestions. Do you want a standard chambering? new wildcat? what size and type of barrel? weight of gun is it a bencher or do you actually plan on carrying it?
I dont want to sound rude or anything but need to know more about your intentions before I can recommend anything.

My favorite 30 is the 308 followed closely by the 300 wsm, I dont know how barrel life will be with the wsm yet.

Don

1. How far do you want to shoot?
2. What bullet weight do you plan on shooting?

There are many good 30 Cals floating around that will give you extreme velocity, if that's what your after.
Any improved 300 Weatherbys will work and win often at Williamsport. The 300 RUM and 300 RUM IMP (Tomahawk) will work well, the fastest is probably the 30/416 Rigby IMP with 36" barrels. The 30/378 is a hot one to and second to the 30/416 IMP.

Anything smaller, such as a 308 Win. will not be as effecient at extreme range if you want to reach way out there and touch something.

you have to decide which weight bullet you want to shoot and what range you want to reach out to and how large the game is going to be you want to Longrange hunt?

later
DC
smile.gif

I just got a 30 338 laupa improved with a 35 degree shoulder built on a savage action with a 30 inch tensioned barrel. The gun was built for a walk around hunting rifle to shoot 1 to 1000 yards. The 30-338 laupa mag is the fastest I have ever used I am getting 3985 FPs with 103.5 IMR 7828 and the 150 grain Hornady Interbond. With the muzzle break shootings the 150's has little recoil but the heavy bullets will really thumb you. Hope this helps
smile.gif

That will work Vern----
grin.gif
Lets chamber that one up.

To the poster shooting the smaller 150 gr bullets which don't have a very high BC for longrange shooting.
I was getting 3650 FPS from a 36" barreled 30/378 Weatherby using 200 gr. MKs
117 Grs of WC-872 was the powder of choice.

The 30/416 IMP will do better then what I was getting with my 30/378 though and with heavier, and higher BC bullets.

DC,

Oh my God, no, you trying to start something
grin.gif

You will have these boys shooting at me in the parking lot at match one.

Stop your making me laugh, Vern

Ps got hit the hay, going to Delware tomorrow morning to shoot, so kiss Carol for me and good nite sir.

Vern

Boyd would be OK if he didn't "pick his nose" so much. It's really terrible when he does that.
grin.gif

Don't shake hands with him. That's what "Jody" told me anyway.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 11-16-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Sorry guys, I should of added some extra info.

Lets go with:
200 grain bullets for a weight maximum
Used for long range on elk and deer, lets say 1500 yards as a max
We won't be concerned with frying a barrel in 1000 rounds
Lets keep the weight under 20 pounds
Bench Rifle
Lets stay away from any 50 caliber cases
Put a brake on it
Wildcats are ok but not "to" extreme
Don't want to sepnd 6 months working up and blowing cases

Put together what you would recomend, excluding the scope. I already have a scope in mind.

Thanks all,

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.