What's the highest magnification you use while hunting from 500 to 1,000 yards?

Tragik

I have two simultaneous new builds that are moving along and the barrels finally arrived. One will be used strictly for casual target shooting (probably 6.5x47) at 500-1,000 yards, and one is for deer/elk hunting (either 7 Saum or 7 SS). The hunting rifle was the result of a spur of the moment decision a few weeks ago to buy a Tikka 300 WSM and rechamber it. I plan on elk hunting out to 700 or 800 yards and maybe at some point out to 1,000 yards with the Tikka. I also plan on shooting steel out to 2,000 yards with the 7mm (at 5-8K elevation, the ballistics are amazing w/ a 195 Berger.)

Anyways, I bought the Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52 in anticipation of the 6.5x47 and I would like to use the scope for both rifles. Had I known I would be building another hunting rifle and using the same scope, I would have chosen a different scope. So - what are your thoughts on using what's essentially a bench rest scope for long range hunting? It obviously would be a nightmare at 100 yards but what about in the 500-1,000 yard range?

Thanks

Haven't hunted to 1000 yards yet but shooting steel out to 1400 I usually find my magnification set around 14-18....and that's with a K624i. Much better field of view.

Bench rest scopes are great for doing ladder tests at 6 or 700 yards.

Well thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like the magnification is way too high, even for 2K steel shooting. I guess I'm going to have to return it or sell it.

I really like the Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56. Anybody had any experience with it?

Their a Polish scope company out of Poland Very good reviews but really almost not know here , check out Richard Uttings review of them on YouTube , thks jjmp

Their a Polish scope company out of Poland Very good reviews but really almost not know here , check out Richard Uttings review of them on YouTube , thks jjmp

Yep - that's how I learned about it. It's supposed to have the glass quality of a much more expensive scope and it's 34mm to boot.

High magnification in most cases means less field of view. Meaning, it may be difficult to stay on a moving animal at those ranges. I usually like top end around 15 to 18 power at those distances.

Not to mention the exit pupil starts small and only gets worse with that scope. A while after sunrise and towards sunset will give you fits, it'll only be ideal during times of good visibility (light).

Not to mention the exit pupil starts small and only gets worse with that scope. A while after sunrise and towards sunset will give you fits, it'll only be ideal during times of good visibility (light).

That's a very good point. Thanks

Just adding my two cents in here about the magnification-
The last two elk I shot were at 811 and 850. One was with an 8-32 power Nightforce NXS at the lowest power, had no problem engaging. The other was with a 5.5-22 NXS at half power, again no problem. Seen both impacts through the scope, which is important to me when hunting/shooting alone.
I actually sold the 8-32, never used it at near max magnification while hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.