whats the easiest //best case/ bullet combo to get to 800

mr.big

I have the long Rem 700 action and a magnum and standrd bolt,Jewel Trigger and the 8.5-25LRT scope.
I need it barreled and stocked and scope mounts,to make a 800-1000 yard rig to make one shot hits,,not a competition type rifle,with the largest targets being in the mule deer type range.

I understand it takes heavy for caliber bullets at a good speed to perform at what I am wanting,so do you go 6-06 with the new 117 Tubb bullet or on the other end a Monster 338 of some kind to shoot the 300 gr bullets.

Because you are not punching holes in paper and actualy shooting game i would look at having a Sako extractor fitted opening up the boltface to magnum and going a 7mm Ultra Mag or 270 Allen MAg. They will shoot flat enough and their bigest advantage is the lack of wind drift that they exibit.

If you want to go the factory route you could possibly find a new take out 7mm ultra barrel from a sendaro i just picked you a 7mm rem mag sendaro barrel for $85US brand new. Even get a 7mm Rem Mag Sendaro barrel and have it rechambered. If going a full coultom route the 7mm Ultra or 270 Allen mag are both good propositions with the Ultra mag having a slight cost advantage with dies available cheeper off the shelf and no fireforming required. I would however have a lengthened mag box fitted and use the 195gr ULD Wildcat projectiles in the 270 or the 200gr ULD Wildcat projectiles in the 7mm ultra and get a LAwton barrel of the correct twist to corectly stabalies the projectiles.

As for the Stock talk to Joel Russo with either one of his A5L stocks of the newer one that is more varmint/long range orientated as apposed to the full tacticle A5 Style.

Also get a 20 MOA tapered rail and some quality Rings. Glen Seekins of Seekins precision makes some very good quality mounts and bases.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Just for pure sexiness I'd go with the 270 Allen Mag. It'll get you to 800 and a 50% farther, if you wish, without any special scope bases but Burris Signatures w/the inserts can be used very successfully.

That's what I went with and I couldn't be happier. BTW it is my first custom rifle and worth every penny, which wasn't all that many (pennies that is).

Of course this would be using Wildcat 190gr RBBTs. Heck for Mule deer the 169 RBBTs are nearly perfect. The 190s just give you more options.

I believe the 270 Allen MAg is based off a 338 Ultra Mag case so their are no problems there

Cheers Bill
Australia

I thinkie the 270am is based off of the 300rum not the 338rum but I do believe that the 6.5 is based off the 338 but I may be wrong. Ask Fiftydriver.

Sorry yes the 270Allen mag is on the 300 ultra or 270 ultra case as they are the same only with diferent neck diameters. The 6.5 Allen mag is on the 338 case as well as the very rare 25 cal allen mag. I would look at the 270 over the other rounds but the 6.5 would also be a contender but the 270 is a serious contender if you dont want a factory cartrige. I would talk to Kirby and ask him about building you one and what you would require for the build up.

Cheers Bill
Australia

THe .270 A/M is based off the 7mm or 300 RUM case. Either are simply neck sized and fireformed and are ready to load up to top end. Both of the weights are awesome from this round with the 169.5's running up to 3450 or the 195's running up to 3200 it makes for a very sweet top end preformer.
P1010035.jpg

Some choose the corn meal route to fireform, I am a clutze when it comes to that so I just stuck to using normally loaded rounds. I had a supply of some old Nosler 150gr Solid Bases on hand and tried them over 98grs of 872. It gives me a mild load running just over 3450 fps and generally groups like this at 500yds,
P1010014.jpg

The only drawback with this round, if you could call it that, is the lack of bullet weights available in this caliber other than the Wildcats. Going with a 7mm or 300 RUM, you get a wider asortment of weights readily available, but with either the 169.5 or the 195 Wildcat in the .270 A.M. you are hard pressed to want for more.

For more info on some of the A.M.'s you might look under the following link, Allen Mag Shooters Group

i'm gonna say a big 338.Lapua,ultra mag, edge, whatever.you don't need the 300 either. the 225 Accubond works great and soon there's gonna be others to choose from.my personal opinion is a 338 is easier to make first shot kills with than the smaller calibers at lK.

[ QUOTE ]
Wild bill

Why do you need an sako extractor?

What is wrong with rem ?

Redbone

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rem extractor is flimsy at best and the Sako extractor is an upgrade... You can get by with the rem extractor if you wanted, but I believe that most prefer to up grade them when rebiulding

[ QUOTE ]
Wild bill

Why do you need an sako extractor?

What is wrong with rem ?

You dont need a SAko type extractor it just ads reliability when you are using large cases with the factory Remington Unit. if i was to upgrade to the Sako extractor i would use the 30-06 bolt as the Magnum bolt would have to have a bush placed into the circlip grove to make the job profesional and the smaler bolt could just be bored to the correct diameter without bushing.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Redbone

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.