What's the deal with this?

BlackSS

I've tried several different bullets and powder combination in my Savage 270 WSM.

I can get 140 gr accubonds to shoot 1/2 - 3/4 MOA pretty reliably with RL-19. Several other bullets and most factory ammo is around 1 MOA.

When I've loaded up some Berger 150 VLD's I am lucky to get 3 MOA, it really is all over the paper at 100 yards. I've tried from just touching the rifling to .005 into the rifling & .010" in to the rifling.

This is a 1 in 10" twist, should be fast enough for the 150 gr bullet.

I know the berger bullet is not the problem as so many people are having success with it. Is it possible this gun just has a BIG problem with the VLD's for some reason?

Try sinking them to .075, .080, .090, and .100. I know that some guys at the Williamsport 1000yd benchrest sink them that deep. I did that with my 300WSM and 208 A-max and had good results. Just make sure you back down in charge a little as you are going to increase your case pressure with them that deep. Or cram them .010 or .015 into the lands.

Tank

I have the same rifle but older with the 1-11 twist and I found Bergers were difficult to get to work but I found a very narrow range centered at .015 of the lands. They shot there great till the throat got out to far then they shot gunned but the Accubond is still sub MOA at 1000yrds. Some rifles do not like the Bergers flat out, they are picky in some rifles!!
Over all the tangent ogive bullets all shot very good from mine but the secant bullets either didn't shoot at all or took work to get them to.
Mine also very much liked Fed 215's!!!

My rifle has shot a few groups in the .3's but most are 1/2-3/4 but at 1000+yrds it is still sub MOA, which for an of the shelf rifle ain't to shabby IMO.

Almost forgot, don't over clean it. From I've seen a lot of guys say to shoot them dirty so I tried it and found it shoots much better after about 6-8 rounds. And do you have the original stock on it?

Yes, it is the accustock, model 10.

I don't really have the motivation to spend too much time with the VLD's. I'm happy with the accubonds, so I really don't see too much to gain by playing with them.
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems. It sounds like it is a "finicky" bullet.

I'm not sold on the Accustock yet, I've seen a lot of guys having to tune the torque on the screws for accuracy, I think some guys are pulling out the screw or wedge and going at it like the older stocks.

I ran out 500 Bergers and about half that was getting them dialed in. The Accubond shot better by a little bit, I shot some Gamekings that I had laying around and they shot very good at a 1000yrds also. I wasted to much barrel life on the Bergers for what I got out of them. The throat on mine is hosed but the Accubonds still shoot great just a little slower now, Bergers shoot about 15 inches at 200yrds now, Accubonds still around the 3/4 Moa any range.

Try sinking them to .075, .080, .090, and .100. I know that some guys at the Williamsport 1000yd benchrest sink them that deep. I did that with my 300WSM and 208 A-max and had good results. Just make sure you back down in charge a little as you are going to increase your case pressure with them that deep. Or cram them .010 or .015 into the lands.

Tank
+1 on this advice. I do a 24 round seating depth test. .030, .050, .090, .130 off the lands. It has worked for 2 rifles so far. I think the depths that liltank is refering to are for the VLD target not the hunting

Plus you need to load test a 200 yards min 100 yards says nothing to me

I shoot 210 bergers in my 300 rum and to get them to shoot I have to jump them into the lands. They didnt start to shoot good til about .2 off the lands. .2 not .02. I tried this with my savage 7RM with 168gr bergers along with many many other things and I can not get them to shoot. Finally gave up because my 162 AMAX shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa.

I'm not sold on the Accustock yet, I've seen a lot of guys having to tune the torque on the screws for accuracy, I think some guys are pulling out the screw or wedge and going at it like the older stocks.

There is a very specific torquing procedure if you remove the stock. It is said to have a pretty big impact on accuracy.
I have one pre-accustock synthetic stocked savage. Not much experience shooting it, but that stock is so flimsy and cheap feeling that the accustock is a big improvement in my eyes even if I end up pulling the wedge.

Plus you need to load test a 200 yards min 100 yards says nothing to me

I had just installed a new scope, so I was trying to get it close, hence starting at 100. I honestly thought the scope was moving it was so bad with the bergers.
Then I swapped to the trusty accubond load without touching anything on the rifle. Took 5-6 rounds to get it on the money, then making clover leafs at 200 yards. If the load is all over the paper at 100 I don't see much point taking it any further.

Everyone here seems to be saying to jump the bergers, I was under the impression pretty much everyone jammed this bullet into the lands. Maybe I'll load up a couple with a healthy jump before I abandon them altogether.

Jump em!! I found right at .015 was the sweet spot, my groups were progressively larger going away from .015 in both directions.

I had same problems as you, w/257 115.5-6 " at 100, same load with 87 berger, flat base or AB'S,NO ISSUE, shot a 3/8 w 86 gr. I gave up on them. I am going to play w/them more ths winter, mine is weatherby free bore. With 87 you cant even reach the lands

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts