Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Very true. Here's my take on barrel life. I found that barrel burner cartridges have accuracy drop off sooner than most people seem to think. That's for me at least. I track accuracy in the long run and barrel burners tend to have slightly degraded accuracy starting at 200-300 rounds even if I chase the lands.

I don't necessarily agree with this.

One solution is to get more serious about cleaning barrels.

Forget everything you learned on the internet and use JB bore paste, JB bore bright :)eek:), copper brushes on a power drill, stainless steel brushes, etc.

If the accuracy is already gone, what do you have to lose by trying it? Can't ruin a shot-out barrel any worse 😈
Years ago I decoppered it after I stopped shooting the early X-Bullets. Accuracy opened to where it wasn't minute of paper plate. It took about 50 shots to get back to minute of deer. Besides I want a project and have never shot/owned a little bullet rifle before. Calm down, just a joke people!!!!!!

I really have nothing against the new equipment. I do feel that the manufacturers over- emphasize the smallest gain when the same technology could be applied to some of the older stuff. I know that they have to stay in business. 1 big thing with me is the belted cartridges. If you don't think that an extra way to align the bullet/case axis with the bore especially if fireforming. You don't need a second shoulder, or atleast I never have. But I'm kind of a Newby to wildcatting. Just my uneducated .02, Paul

New toy... Nosler M48 in 26 Nosler.

Shot it on the way home (managed to find three boxes of ammo) nice. Not a sharp recoil more of a slow push. Was pleasantly surprised.

25" barrel. 150 grain Accubond Long Range doing 3200 FPS according to the box (famous last words).

Attachments

• 20230607_201146.jpg
    20230607_201146.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230607_201115.jpg
    20230607_201115.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
To all those people that didn't agree with my post on barrel life....

I've used borescopes to confirm my suspicions.

I've used many methods of barrel cleaning and have found that no amount of barrel cleaning removed throat erosion. LOL

This is the reason I rarely buy a used rifle. They're almost always sold because accuracy degraded and my experience is that throat erosion is the usual culprit.

I think a lot of the reason for throat erosion is that people don't allow time to properly cool a barrel. If it's more than just a little warm to the touch I turn a fan on it and get busy with something else. Dewalt sells a great portable battery powered fan that is excellent for this. Plus taking less than at least 3 rifles to shoot for a range session or prairie dog hunting is a recipe for frustration.

Of course when you get into a good prairie dog town throat erosion is the least of your worries. It's time for having more fun than it's possible to have unless it's between the sheets. ;)

I've used many methods of barrel cleaning and have found that no amount of barrel cleaning removed throat erosion. LOL

This is the reason I rarely buy a used rifle. They're almost always sold because accuracy degraded and my experience is that throat erosion is the usual culprit.
Nothing a few extra chambered barrels can't fix.

I think a lot of the reason for throat erosion is that people don't allow time to properly cool a barrel. If it's more than just a little warm to the touch I turn a fan on it and get busy with something else. Dewalt sells a great portable battery powered fan that is excellent for this. Plus taking less than at least 3 rifles to shoot for a range session or prairie dog hunting is a recipe for frustration.

Of course when you get into a good prairie dog town throat erosion is the least of your worries. It's time for having more fun than it's possible to have unless it's between the sheets. ;)
That's not a bad idea about the fan.

Although I will say, I've gone shooting here in Saskatchewan in winter. Even at -30 c or around -22 F, five rounds of 257 wby down the tube and it's freaking HOT!!!! Not sure a little fan is gonna compete with natures blast freezer haha…but I'll still probably try it.

That's not a bad idea about the fan.

Although I will say, I've gone shooting here in Saskatchewan in winter. Even at -30 c or around -22 F, five rounds of 257 wby down the tube and it's freaking HOT!!!! Not sure a little fan is gonna compete with natures blast freezer haha…but I'll still probably try it.

I still use a chamber chiller on my rifles at the range when it's cold out as I sit in the truck and warm up. 🥶

Helps cool them down a hair faster.