What's the best solvent to remove copper fouling??

Joefrazell

Like it says, what I'd the best for the copper. I've used Montana copper killer didn't seem that great. I've used sweet 7.62 seemed better at cleaning carbon and of coarse hoppes #9 which works alright. I've also used shoothers choice and didnt care for it a ton. What have you guys had luck with?

I think that Montana extreme copper killer is great. It stinks but it's fast and it does what it is supposed to. You can't leave it in the barrel long, but it is the only thing I found (aside from the foams, never tried them) that would clean a factory .220 swift barrel of copper.

I used to use 7.62 sweets, ripped my head off every time I used it. It works though. Also used to use Shooters choice, so so.
Then I went to Montana Extreme. Again, so so.
I now use Boretec, and really like it. It works great, no where near as foul smelling.
Additionally, I too use JB, bore paste, and sometimes, Remington 40x bore cleaner. ( which seems to be like liquefied jb).
For carbon, I use carb cleaner, or CRC, green can brake cleaner.
IMHO, works for me, I hate copper.

I use bore tech most of the time but I just used wipeout for the first time to just see how it did with the copper and it passed the eye test. I did my normal bore tech and might have gotten some out but it was not enough to say wipeout didn't do a good job.
I use shooters choice or another bore cleaner for carbon. Bore tech eliminator works on it all.

I think that Montana extreme copper killer is great. It stinks but it's fast and it does what it is supposed to. You can't leave it in the barrel long, but it is the only thing I found (aside from the foams, never tried them) that would clean a factory .220 swift barrel of copper.
My experience as well. I'm pretty well hooked now on their whole line of products for both my modern runs and my black powder rifle.

I used to use 7.62 sweets, ripped my head off every time I used it. It works though. Also used to use Shooters choice, so so.
Then I went to Montana Extreme. Again, so so.
I now use Boretec, and really like it. It works great, no where near as foul smelling.
Additionally, I too use JB, bore paste, and sometimes, Remington 40x bore cleaner. ( which seems to be like liquefied jb).
For carbon, I use carb cleaner, or CRC, green can brake cleaner.
IMHO, works for me, I hate copper.
Berryman's is my favorite for a quick decarbonizing.

I tried them all, but found Bore Tech Eliminator worked best for me. Safe for the bore (others with ammonia might cause damage if left in too long- READ THE DIRECTIONS !!).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.