What's the best electronic scale?

Re: What\'s the best electronic scale?

"Best" electronic system is not digital. It is the Promethus made and sold by a guy who works for Shilen barrels now. It is actually total system involving powder measure dumping onto balance beam and automatically trickled level. Seen photos of set up and read about it on LR target shooting.com for last year. Have not used it, but it seems to be the rolls royce of sytems.

It is fast, accurate, and expensive ($800).

David Tubbs and other big name HP shooters are using system now.

To All

I have had several electronic scales and the Lyman seems to be the MOST accurate to date, for me. The cost is very low for the quality I have found from this unit.

I use the RCBS, PACT, the Lyman and a balance beam to cross check the electroncis from time to time. The RCBS and PACT I use for case weighing.

The type Bounty Hunter mentioned came out several yrs ago by a well know manufacturer.
I had to have one to try it out and had it about a week before sending it back. It worked on the SAME principle as the one he mentioned, but threw charges up to 8 and 12 grs off from time to time.
Needless to say, the unit went back to the company and I received a full refund.
They were very expensive back then too as I remember.
High Cost isn't "always" the BEST, which I found out the hard way.
I doubt if very many people would shell out $800.00 for a scale for relaoding when there are very accurate models out there for less then $150.00

As long as the old Lyman keeps the accuracy it has for me, I will continue to use it.
I'm not sure if it's the BEST or not, but it seems to be VERY accurate time after time and has been for years now.

DC
smile.gif

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Interesting reviews. I was wanting another one to take to the range, I'll look at the Lyman 1000.

Too much time on my hands is all I have, so you all feel free to call, any time a day or night, just use the 1-800 number too.
grin.gif
grin.gif

It's been 50 degrees out, I swear winter is never going to get here. Feels like August STILL.
smile.gif

Does anyone know what accuracy the Lyman LE 1000 has? I have looked on Lyman's website, however they do not list its accuracy. I am assuming +/- 1/10 of a grain, am I correct?
confused.gif

CatShooter, thanks for the very informative reviews of the scales. After all the compliments on the Lyman 1000, I'm definitely going to have to look into it. BTW, I forgive you for shooting cats....I'm a cat lover to the core.....dogs stink too much.
wink.gif

Brent, 50 degrees!!! As for Winter here.....days are around 30 and tonight it's supposed to get under 20 degrees......in Tennessee......and YES we DO get snow this far south.
grin.gif

BTW, Thanks again for everyone's comments, maybe I can return the favor sometime.
cool.gif

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: mindcrime ]

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: mindcrime ]

I am now the proud owner of a LE-1000. Just thought I give ALL a big thanks......it IS definitely better than the small Pact!
cool.gif

Hey MC,

How do you like it so far? Mine has been on for two days and just waiting for me.
grin.gif
Going out tomarrow to shoot the 220gr MK in the 300 Ultra.
It got down to 30 degrees last night, back up to 40 today. They're calling for our first snow tonight or tomarrow night. If you can imagine this, the snow is only half way down the mountains!
rolleyes.gif
A friend of mine, he's from Tennessee too. He moved up here to get away from the pollution and stuff. Said it is so bad where he lived you couldn't hardly find a place to hunt that you could actually eat the deer, fish and stuff. He said it's nothing like up here. He sure liked the hunting down there though, said the deer population is just outrageous. He lived down by a big pulp mill, can't remember the county. His mom said she hadn't got any snow yet but it was down to 30 too.

Hey, does that scale have a 9v battery?

All,
FYI: I've recnetly tested (and bought) one of the Ohaus Navigator scales that have a .05 grain resolution (492.00, 492.05, 493.00) with many other options on it for grams, grains, rezeroing for comparison measuring, etc,etc,etc. The price is steeper (usually $400+ as mentioned in an earlier post) than the digit scales put out by the major manufacturers, but the resolution is much better and it's repeatable with my check weight (after warming up as was already mentioned) They are available from Clinch River Outfitters. They have another higher model than the Navigator that has a resolution that goes down to .02 gr but it was to pricy for me.
For comparison measuring of cases/bullets in a short amount of time this is unbeatable. But like anything you have to determine if the price warrants the real need for the speed and resolution it gives. For someone measuring powder to reload it's probably to much. For a competition shooter or someone who wieghs a large number of items to do statisical control with, it's a very large time saver.

Steve

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Steve Shelp ]

Steve,
I have heard of these somewhere else also, they said it was the very best too, but very pricey as you too said. If I was in competition...

Brent, I like the LE-1000. Yeah the Navigator is THE scale, but for my purposes the LE-1000 will do the job rather nicely(with substantial savings). Repeatability seems very good, and MUCH better than the small Pact BBK-II I borrowed from a pistol shooter friend of mine. The scale has provisions for a 9 volt or plug in. It also has a really handy built in holder for the 50 gram check weight. Nifty.

Did your buddy live close to Oak Ridge in eastern TN? The deer and turkeys over there still glow in the dark from the radioactivity!
tongue.gif

Have you thought about a Lyman autoscale its just for powder weighing and dispensing I have one and like it alot.

MC, Oakridge is the place he was close to.

Is the autoscale the same as the LE1000?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts