Whats the advantage of Hammer rounds ?

1-Forced to use lead free in California
2- bought into the hammer hype, largely thanks to this forum
3- Was of the mindset it would be more proficient to only use one bullet in state and out of state.
4- initially lacked a large enough sample size to really determine their effectiveness largely due to utilizing the gutless method and not performing an autopsy, critters died but never very spectacularly when compared to a cup n core bullet. If only compared to a barnes tsx then yes hammers do work better further no doubt due to them shedding petals.
5- and this is a big one- they Are a great bullet, easy to load and predictable accuracy especially in overbore magnums of which I typically shoot. But I don't feel they are some magic thors hammer that will cure all Like they are often touted here.
6- as this is a long range hunting forum I feel there are multitudes of better bullet options for long range hunting
I feel there are multitudes of better bullet options for long range hunting

But yet your using Hammers............. Correct?

It is kinda funny how NOW light for caliber bullets going fast is a "cool thing", but when John Lazzeroni was doing it on a production scale 20 years ago he got made fun of and basically was run off of these types of forums...
Not any more- going to try cutting edge lazers in Ca and others elsewhere
Good luck

Not any more- going to try cutting edge lazers in Ca and others elsewhere

A friend of mine used the cutting edge Lazer. I have very little info on the exact details.. The audad he shot showed zero signs of being hit, which isn't uncommon. But once the animal died and there was some investigation, there was very minimal damage done internally and the entrance and exit hole were the same. Virtually no expansion of the projectile.

The shot was somewhere are 700 yards and the cartridge was a .375CT . So maybe the audad wasn't dense enough for the 400+ grain bullet. Maybe a smaller caliber/cartridge will behave differently

A friend of mine used the cutting edge Lazer. I have very little info on the exact details.. The audad he shot showed zero signs of being hit, which isn't uncommon. But once the animal died and there was some investigation, there was very minimal damage done internally and the entrance and exit hole were the same. Virtually no expansion of the projectile.

The shot was somewhere are 700 yards and the cartridge was a .375CT . So maybe the audad wasn't dense enough for the 400+ grain bullet. Maybe a smaller caliber/cartridge will behave differently

I've been looking hard at the lasers too but as you said, not much info out there on them. I think down the road when I rebarrel this 7max, I might go with the 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist to give them a go.

Wonder if the Single Feed Only is due to the length, or is it more of a concern with damaging the meplate when chamverering from a mag?

I've been looking hard at the lasers too but as you said, not much info out there on them. I think down the road when I rebarrel this 7max, I might go with the 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist to give them a go.

Wonder if the Single Feed Only is due to the length, or is it more of a concern with damaging the meplate when chamvrering from a mag?
Length

Wonder if the Single Feed Only is due to the length, or is it more of a concern with damaging the meplate when chamverering from a mag?

I'm almost certain it's because of the length. These dudes are LONG!!

Sorry but that was not my intention. I am simply informing you both before it gets out of hand unnecessarily.
Thank You! I was being mentally lazy, and got pulled in a bit myself. Doesn't help the conversation.

The pertinent information is we now have bullets that support those chasing extreme velocities, those in the chain of development would have loved. With bullets that survive extreme twist, and 4000 fps launches, 3500 fps impacts, on game the size of asiatic buffalo, the naysayers would have had a harder time with the labels.

I'd love to sit with a hero of mine Ken Clark, and discuss his .224, and Hammer bullets.

Or weatherby with fast light for lomg range bullets and long throats. It's all old and boring until it's new again.
I think one of the lazeronni offerings were coated barnes mrx bullets (whatever one had a tungsten core) at warp speed.

The most ridiculous recurring theme on these hammer threads is that they somehow make stuff deader or that they'll miracously work in a situation where a bonded bullet would bounce off an elk
How incredibly true...on this forum...they are becoming almost....CULT LIKE! and twice the price of long tried and true bullets! It's becoming redundant! Shoot what you like...shoot straight,shoot true, but quit trying to sell me! Not what the forum was designed for..( at least...I hope not)