Whats the advantage of Hammer rounds ?

It is kinda funny how NOW light for caliber bullets going fast is a "cool thing", but when John Lazzeroni was doing it on a production scale 20 years ago he got made fun of and basically was run off of these types of forums...
Or weatherby with fast light for lomg range bullets and long throats. It's all old and boring until it's new again.
I think one of the lazeronni offerings were coated barnes mrx bullets (whatever one had a tungsten core) at warp speed.

The most ridiculous recurring theme on these hammer threads is that they somehow make stuff deader or that they'll miracously work in a situation where a bonded bullet would bounce off an elk

Or weatherby with fast light for lomg range bullets and long throats. It's all old and boring until it's new again.
I think one of the lazeronni offerings were coated barnes mrx bullets (whatever one had a tungsten core) at warp speed.

The most ridiculous recurring theme on these hammer threads is that they somehow make stuff deader or that they'll miracously work in a situation where a bonded bullet would bounce off an elk
and here comes one of the closed minded guys . . .

and here comes one of the closed minded guys . . .
Nope- I'm just not into dogmatism
I'm forced to use lead free bullets here (California) I have about 15 hammer kills so far and to a t I would have rather had the ability to use a different bullet. They kill stuff but it's never so mindblowing spectacular that I'd sell all my other projectiles

Nope- I'm just not into dogmatism
I'm forced to use lead free bullets here (California) I have about 15 hammer kills so far and to a t I would have rather had the ability to use a different bullet. They kill stuff but it's never so mindblowing spectacular that I'd sell all my other projectiles
Then why aren't you using your other projectile's ?

Not sure what your personal agenda is and why it is causing you to make stuff up, but no one in this thread has said Hammer bullets are "mindblowing spectacular." They kill by a different mechanism which is very effective and also gives a flat shooting load, Plus, they are very easy to tune. Both of these are significant advantages over C-n-C bullets.

I did say "slow to change", though . . .

Last edited:
Then why aren't you using your other projectile's ?
1-Forced to use lead free in California
2- bought into the hammer hype, largely thanks to this forum
3- Was of the mindset it would be more proficient to only use one bullet in state and out of state.
4- initially lacked a large enough sample size to really determine their effectiveness largely due to utilizing the gutless method and not performing an autopsy, critters died but never very spectacularly when compared to a cup n core bullet. If only compared to a barnes tsx then yes hammers do work better further no doubt due to them shedding petals.
5- and this is a big one- they Are a great bullet, easy to load and predictable accuracy especially in overbore magnums of which I typically shoot. But I don't feel they are some magic thors hammer that will cure all Like they are often touted here.
6- as this is a long range hunting forum I feel there are multitudes of better bullet options for long range hunting

They don't mess around getting bullets out to you either. If you need to make a change to an order, best be quick
When he says they don't mess around, them showing up at your door 2 - 3 days after you order is the norm. Everything they advertise, which is the most extensive selection of weights and types for every caliber by any maker anywhere, is in stock. Steve must have turned bullets for 10 years before opening the doors. It's unbelievable. Not only that, but Steve asks that if you want something you don't see available, just ask, and it could be added to the lineup. How's THAT for extreme customer service?

Not sure what your personal agenda is and why it is causing you to make stuff up, but I am not saying Hammer bullets are "mindblowing spectacular." They kill by a different mechanism which is very effective and also gives a flat shooting load, Plus, they are very easy to tune. Both of these are significant advantages over C-n-C bullets.

I did say "slow to change", though . . .
No agenda but you quoted me so I responded.

What exactly did I make up?

If you don't think hammer bullets are a panacea on this forum you aren't paying attention

They kill by the same mechanism of any other bullet by depriving the brain of blood and or oxygen or by shock to the cns. In my experience they do this no more effectively than many other bullets. Less effectively than a handful

1-Forced to use lead free in California
2- bought into the hammer hype, largely thanks to this forum
3- Was of the mindset it would be more proficient to only use one bullet in state and out of state.
4- initially lacked a large enough sample size to really determine their effectiveness largely due to utilizing the gutless method and not performing an autopsy, critters died but never very spectacularly when compared to a cup n core bullet. If only compared to a barnes tsx then yes hammers do work better further no doubt due to them shedding petals.
5- and this is a big one- they Are a great bullet, easy to load and predictable accuracy especially in overbore magnums of which I typically shoot. But I don't feel they are some magic thors hammer that will cure all Like they are often touted here.
6- as this is a long range hunting forum I feel there are multitudes of better bullet options for long range hunting
I used a .300 Dakota with a lighter weight Barnes not so long ago, and I felt the exact same way about the Barnes.

Recent Posts