What's needed to convert a 6.5 Creed to a .223?

Jeffrthehunter

I have a custom built 6.5 Creed on a cleaned up R700 SA. I am thinking it would be nice to convert it to 223 for a good practice gun. Maybe a 22" medium heavy barrel with no brake. I already have the dies and brass and would love a new project. Do I new anything other than a new bolt and new HS Precision mag?

FYI, this Creed is my current practice gun but I think I would enjoy the low recoil and low noise of the .223, also would make a great Varmit gun.

Thanks Jeff

What are you going to do as far as the Action magazine lips and magazine, Or are you going to put a filler in the bottom of the action and single shot it?

What are you going to do as far as the Action magazine lips and magazine, Or are you going to put a filler in the bottom of the action and single shot it?
He said he is using an HS precision mag, so he has a dbm set up, simple as changing mags. Then bolt and barrel, and your in business!! I have often thought about putting together a precision .223 for practice and varmints, but I keep getting 22-250's.....ha ha

If you chamber and thread your own barrels, I'm asking myself, "what am I missing here?" I then ask myself, "why build something as mundane as a 223?"

If you chamber and thread your own barrels, I'm asking myself, "what am I missing here?" I then ask myself, "why build something as mundane as a 223?"
Ammo is cheap, ammo will always be available in some form or another, components are always available, recoil is low, it's fantastic for practicing, especially for young and new shooters, they are generally very easy to get accuracy out of, and that is just a couple reasons off the top of my head. The .223 is a great round, and the guy likely has more rifles than just this one. If you like shooting a lot and want to do it on a budget, it's hard to beat!

Ammo is cheap, ammo will always be available in some form or another, components are always available, recoil is low, it's fantastic for practicing, especially for young and new shooters, they are generally very easy to get accuracy out of, and that is just a couple reasons off the top of my head. The .223 is a great round, and the guy likely has more rifles than just this one. If you like shooting a lot and want to do it on a budget, it's hard to beat!
Can't argue with that.
As a reloader, "ammo is cheap", so I never think about cartridge cost and love the time I spend at the bench (when i make the time).
Then again, I've never had a 223 bolty. If I did, it'd most likely be the AI variety.

Can't argue with that.
As a reloader, "ammo is cheap", so I never think about cartridge cost and love the time I spend at the bench (when i make the time).
Then again, I've never had a 223 bolty. If I did, it'd most likely be the AI variety.
Ya, for my AR's I use 55 gr spire points, they are $9-$13 a box of 100, I use around 26 grains of powder, brass is almost free (range brass from the Sheriff's Office) and primers are all the same. When your shooting a thousand or more rounds a year, they are way cheaper than a creed at $35-$50 a box of bullets, 45ish grains of powder, and lapua/peterson or similar brass. That being said, I have a .260 AI that I shoot a lot as well ha ha, but a .223 is great for volume shooting

I love the process!! Looking for a reason to build another rifle and I would like to practice with a .223 with no MB. Currently practicing with a Creedmoor and the brake is loud!!! I built a 6.5-284 and a 7RM for hunting so I'm good there.
20200807_185650.jpg

Currently practicing with a Creedmoor and the brake is loud
Sweet rifle, agree on doing it "just for the fun."
Personally, I don't like brakes on any of my rifles from 338 Winmag on down. Yes, I know it helps with follow through, but I prefer less noise.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.