What's In Len's Backpack?

I switched to the fanny-pack instead of the back-pack,,, much lighter and way easier to put on the miles now...

Camp spots are all in place with all the extras,,, no need to pack in and out of our circular 30 km zone,,, 900 square kilometres of glory with 9 cashes so far,,, we're going in to set up the last one this week along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains...

Life is just that simple.

First run of spring with Fanny/ Back-pack,,, 7 lbs over 10 Miles / 16 kms on the flats.

1:32 minutes,,, Oh Yha,,, that's good since my 9 cashes are normally in the 7 km zone spread out,,, that about 1 hour per unit,,, pretty good for a middle age fellow that needs to drop 20 lbs,,, Ha.

That's The game plan.

I was going to go with just the hip pack this year, but the plan changed to the combination hip/ Back-pack since it spreads out the limited goods evenly so I can gain more flexibility,,, tighter configuration at keeping things secure to the body,,, I can see a few extra things I need on these hikes...

The stuff that a person chooses to pack for the limited comforts of each outing,,, distance and timing dictates what gets packed,,, so 7 lbs is frugal as 12 to 14 ish lbs is realistic.

Of course I won't know this till I put on some more Miles.

Tomorrow is the 20 mile,,, hopefully by Friday I'm into the 30,,, not that I want to,,, its the decision that I have to,,, that way I can reach the 30 km set-up in better shape. LOL.

Then sleep for 2 days. Ha

Old fat guys rule you know

The Snow up North is just about gone,,, so I dug out my old back-pack...
What's that,,, it looks like a mountain bike,,, well that's right,,, its a 2005 Mountain-Bike Back-Pack...

I'm not that young guy that can pack 44 or 88 + lbs,,, so I let my Bike carry the weight...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZrubtKnnSYwxKwY29

Lower River Valleys,,, Oil Patch Pipe Line Right-aways,,, Elk and Goat trails,,, hopefully not the ones that have 5 Paw prints in a set of 4,,, Ha.

Lots of motorcycle straps to buckle things down... Suck them up tight and strap them again...
The attached gear has to stay in-place or a person is heading for a wreck...

How does the rolling back-pack work on the trails,,, well let's put it this way...
I cover 16 kms / 10 Miles in 50 ish minutes """so long as its easy going."""

All down hill runs are free,,, not the case for up hill,,, the trick is to drop the bike on the steep stuff,,, take the small pack up first with 1/3 of what' was on the bike... Drop that gear,,, then retrieve bike...

I flip the handle bars/ front tire sideways to attach to back-pack... Leave back tire on the up hill trail,,, place left over gear below the peddles to keep bike up-right,,, garb my walking sticks and head up to the top landing...

Its just that simple...

My rifle can attach to my bike,,, or I use my Australia sling to hold it to my body...

The nice thing about those slings is they give a person endless options for carrying the rifle...

I change it up every 1/2 hour depending on how I feel... Or put it on the pack-bike...

Just an idea in my travels... More to come when I head over the White Rabbit Pass in the next few weeks...

Ye Ha,,, bring on the good times...

Last edited:
So us humans know that 15% up-hill grade is as $on of a €!¥4,,, with a bike it's twice the work out... Either the human switch is on or its off,,, we are the only ones that get to decide that...

I really wanted the electric peddle bike,,, but once I got at it,,, well it's not that bad... Yes,,, I can't cover ground like the Pro's,,, none issue here since our areas are full of critters at every turn... Ha.

If I don't have at it now,,, it will be challanging later on as I age,,, 1/3 left for this middle age dude.

All the work outs at 3000 ft mean Jack Crap once I start out at 4200 and climb to the 5700 ft mark in the lower valleys... That's where we find out where the bears meet the buck-brush... """so to speak that is."""

Yuppers,,, lots of rpm before I load the wheeled back-pack up,,, hopefully I don't have to break it apart to many times,,, it is what it is they say...

Lots of short 40 minute power strokes to get up to speed,,, then a few week high elevation stints to top it off... The driving force is the need to get at it as a once in a life time adventure,,, then push the limits from there...

Not an easy undertaking I'd say,,, I won't know this till I get there.

Enjoy the Spring time all,,, let gravity hold you down as we take on stuff in the great outdoors... That's what it's all about isn't it !!!