Whats happened with Hybrids?

Just got an email from berger. The plant management said that 'the variance was within their tolerance per lot and the sorting I did should be good enough. And that I shouldn't have to weigh them.'

You bet you *** im weighing them!

So basically I can save a lot of money by sorting and shooting Sierra and Hornady.

So much for confidence in Berger standing behind their product or making it right. I guess the bigger a company gets the more their attitude changes. I guarantee they had banner years 3 or 4 years in a row so "screw em if they dont like something, we'll sell more".

Wow ! That is truly stupid on their behalf. I'll just buy much cheaper Sierra , Speer , and Hornady if I start getting low QC from Berger. It will be interesting when I get my new 7mm 168gr vlds. If they come in with this poor of QC then I'll start working with something else and save a bundle.

I would highly suggest giving Sierra a closer look. I would also suggest not taking for granted the quality of berger from now on. Or at least till they slow down enough to regain their control in their products.

Regardless , if the customer isn't satisfied then offer to replace or refund. It's a lot better to have happy customers than disgruntled former customers trashing your name. He is contacting them because he isn't a satisfied customer and has given them the chance to make him satisfied. Passingon that oopportunity is a poor decision imo. And yes , he stated it was all the same lot and gave the number in a later post.

Here are Bergers specs and recommendation for measuring, I would say therein spec. The larger the bullet the larger the spec range so not hard to see where you should be at!!

"When using Berger Bullets, the serious rifle shooter can be confident of the fact that the "SHOOT BETTER, SHOOT BERGER" slogan we use is based on fact rather than marketing hype. Sure we are proud of our bullets and the efforts it takes to make them. However, there are very real science based reasons why Bergers are actually better. The points below are both factual tolerances and dimensions, or policies and procedures that we use to ensure our highest quality reputation.

We use only the highest quality copper and lead available to eliminate impurities or other material issues. Our material vendors have been in their industry for decades. We have regular meetings at their facility and ours to refresh our mutual understanding of our highest material quality requirements.
Our bullet weight tolerances are listed below. The actual results are usually tighter than these tolerances allow:

• 20 gr to 60 gr — +or- 0.05 gr
  • 62 gr to 115 gr — +or- 0.1 gr
  • 120 gr to 168 gr — +or- 0.15 gr
  • 175 gr to 210 gr — +or- 0.2 gr

Our bullet base to ogive (bearing surface) tolerances are listed below. It is important to note that measuring this dimension is difficult as the point of contact is a thin and rounded surface. If you find measurements greater than the tolerances listed below please measure the same 10 bullets several times to confirm that your measuring device is reliable and repeatable (many on the market are not). We use a specially developed process which includes custom made gauges to ensure reliable and repeatable measurements. Most reports of bullets outside this tolerance are found to be the result of how they are measured:

• 20 gr to 115 gr — .003 ES
  • 120 gr to 210 gr — .005 ES

Here are Bergers specs and recommendation for measuring, I would say therein spec. The larger the bullet the larger the spec range so not hard to see where you should be at!!

[*]62 gr to 115 gr — +or- 0.1 gr

Most reports of bullets outside this tolerance are found to be the result of how they are measured:

[*]20 gr to 115 gr — .003 ES

All measurements are repeatable over and over repeatedly. I wouldn't endeavor measurements on 1200 6mm bullets without confidence in my measurements and methods or experience.

Weights on random bullets throughout the spread (20-35 bullets only) was 104.88 to 105.6 gr. You'll have to give me more time for full weight spread.

Attachments

• 20140120_200211.jpg
    20140120_200211.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 102
Tbrice
I wouldnt be too upset. Like you i measure and weigh my bullets and have also noticed an increase in deviation among lots. This deviation isnt greater than what ive noticed over the last few years just more concentrated. I think westcliff had a point in noting how busy berger must be and this could be a result of them busting their hump to get bullets out the door. This will definitely lead to lots varying more and even qc slip ups. I found a couple of berger bullets way outta their spec as well but it was literally 1 outta 500. Qc slip up? No doubt, but it was way better than some of the hornady's and seirras ive measured too.

The ones that are way outta spec i mark and use to check the calibration of my equip throughout my process solely because they are rare.

If you wanna stop buying bergers, thats your right as a consumer, but i think your gonna see the same thing with other manufacturers as well until they all get caught up.

When i was sorting hornady hpbt match bullets i needed 16 bins to sort them out and i had to sort over 200 just to put 50 together with the same consistency as a radom grab from a berger box.

Seirra was better but hey they cost a little more too. Prime example of getting what you pay for.

Besides, isnt this why we sort bullets?

Yep That's why we sort.
I just hope they shoot ok ( the jacket and core consistency is good.)
Sorry my confidence is shaken.

Yep That's why we sort.
I just hope they shoot ok ( the jacket and core consistency is good.)
Sorry my confidence is shaken.

I think if you didnt sort them and got two that were on opposite ends of the spectrum you would see a difference, at extended range of course. The way you are sorting i think you will be better than ok.

I think it may seem a bit worse looking at the extreme spread especially with the large numbers you are sorting. Run the numbers on the standard deviation, your confidence will return. Lol

It would be interesting to reload a few from each extreme and go to the range and see if there is a significant difference on paper.
Has anyone done this and posted the results? Just curious as I do not sort my bullets, only by lot #'s

It would be interesting to reload a few from each extreme and go to the range and see if there is a significant difference on paper.
Has anyone done this and posted the results? Just curious as I do not sort my bullets, only by lot #'s

I have but only at 100 yds. If someone does try it, i hope they do 300+. I think the deviations will then rear their head.

This match was canceled after the 1st relay because of downpouring rain and 20+ MPH switch winds.
Highest score of the day.

Sorting BS and in .04 gr 6br 105 hybrid

Attachments

• 20140106_095714.jpg
    20140106_095714.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.