What's going on?

Whitetail Hunter

What\'s going on?

I need some help with this please. I have a 300 RUM in a model 700 SF with a 6.5 to 20 Nikon. I am shooting 165 Gr. Gamekings. During my load testing today with 88 Gr. of Rl-22 I shot 1" horizontal but 3" vertical. When I moved to 89 Gr. I shot 3.5" horizontal and 2.25" Vertical. I trimmed all the cases .010 from max. I deburred the flasholes but I did notice a burr on the outside of the chamfer.
confused.gif

Re: What\'s going on?

This is so basic I am sure you have already done this, but just in case......Check your action screws and the position of your action in your stock. If you need to retorque the screws hold the action as hard to the rear as you can and torque the front screw completely then the rear one.

Craig, I feel like I live right down the road from you. Thats an SF model as in Stainless fluted, so you have an HS stock on that rifle, when you torque your guard screws, do them alternatly, finishing with the rear, 65inlbs. I'll be at the range WED. if its not windy, I'll be shooting the VS 223 and my sons SF 22-250, we'll see if we can figure it out, or give me a call, I'll be home all night long, I'm in the book. Jay.

Thanks guys for the help I will check the screws and see if that is the problem. I hope it is but, I have the feeling in the back of my mind that it is several little things. Jay I will try to be at the range on Wed. I have to load some more rounds. If I am there I will be there around 5

Craig

I'll be the one in the Tan Ranger looking on the skinny side and poor vision, but shootin' oneholers, in my dreams. Jay

Craig, BTW, What is your cleaning regimine? I put a couple of patches of Shooters Choice #7, then go in with the bronze brush a few times, dry patch, then comes the Sweets a couple times, bronze brush again, dry patch, and then a patch of Kroil, and 2 dry patches. Jay

We have had the best results with HS stocks by torqueing the front screw to 55 in. lbs. and the rear to 45 in. lbs.
smile.gif

My cleaning regime is as follows. Barrel break-in shoot one clean one to 10 with Butch's bore shine. Shoot 3 clean for 10 times. Then shoot time accuracy goes bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.