What's everyone use for a rear rest while shooting in the field? Mainly looking at prone shooting, if possible.

Any idea what it weighs? The fiesol 3342 with 50mm ball head and RRS qd arca clamps is 3.5 ish lbs. Little less with leveling head. Pretty slick if you are willing to spend the money and go to arca rails etc. Use mine for bino's and spotters
I believe that it weighs right around 8.5 lbs

My father and I have a trip to Northern Colorado in a few weeks and I am curious as to what everyone prefers for a rear rest.

I have an Atlas CAL bipod and originally just considered using my pack as a rear rest while shooting prone, but now I am considering buying a rear bag. This will be our first time to CO, so we don't know exactly what to expect.

For those of you that have hunted in Northern CO, how hard is it to get a prone shot? Is the grass usually too high?
A couple years ago I was hunting North Western Colorado and had a FHF Blaze Backpack Panel attached to my backpack which was stuffed with some layering clothes. I used it has my rear bag while using my backpack as my front rest. This system worked really well and was even able to take a bull at a decent range so I've just been primarily using the same system if taking prone shots.

I rock this in the field, it works well:

If backpacking in, ditch the bipod and ditch the dedicated rear bag. If day hunting bring whatever. I use a Feisol 3342 from Bison Tactical with a universal leveling base from RRS. Far higher weight rating (read steadier) than those flimsy glassing stick things for both glassing and shooting. When comparing the weight of a crappy glassing tripod and bipod this is about the same of less but better function and far more versatility. HIGHLY recommend this type of setup. Only thing I would get i dtead is a RRS Anvil30 setup but not in my budget at the moment. If a rear bag is needed (distance permitting time), I use my Kifaru Guide Lid with puffy jacket or pack frame depending on height of tripod over obstacles.

If day hunting and you want a deducated rear back the Smedium Game changer or Pint Sized Game Changer with light fill are very versatile.

If you don't glass off a tripod (highly recommended) or don't have the budget for a good tripod, learn to use standard trekking poles. Wrap the wrist straps over each other crisscrossed creates a very stable soft cradle that is very fast to adjust height by spreading the legs. No stupid expensive contraption to connect them needed and provides a soft (strap) on hard( stock) contact. Extremely stable, especially with a pack frame as rear support against your chest. But still not as versatile as the tripod.

The bipod is a one use item that is really unnecessary, not as accurate as a soft front bag for recoil and only ideal for extended prone shooting such as prairie dogs or abnormal engagements like roof tops and tactical engagements. Ditch it and the weight for a backpack hunt.

Weighed the bag I use
5E166D6B-E368-445E-B4C0-D7AB62F425A7.jpeg

I had to chime in here. I've shot most of my animals off of a freighter frame or a day pack. I have recently bought these super lightweight bags (ounces) from Sportsman Warehouse. Like others, they are just clipped to my pack.

I purchased a flat rear bag and the taller version for a front bag. Check'em out.

Just my two cents👍

Attachments

• 7DE31030-C2AF-4D06-A2F1-5564B69F6361.jpeg
    7DE31030-C2AF-4D06-A2F1-5564B69F6361.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 4098E44B-8AE4-4E2A-823C-417BDE9E29FB.jpeg
    4098E44B-8AE4-4E2A-823C-417BDE9E29FB.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 42
For prone shooting I have my atlas bipod mounted to the rifle and I'll pop one strap of my bino harness loose and slide it up my chest and position it under the butt of my rifle. Works beautifully. For instances where I can't go prone I carry a cheep caldwell tripod strapped to my pack.

An old hackey-sack. Weighs almost nothing and can be positioned on a rock or my fist or whatever for a little extra height if needed.