What's everyone use for a rear rest while shooting in the field? Mainly looking at prone shooting, if possible.

I've been down this hole too. I use a light fill rear squeeze bag with a caribeaner attached to my pack. It also has flush cup mount to attach to my rifle butt if prepared to shoot and may need to move. That way it comes with me and free up a hand. This rear bag is ultra light so I don't mind packing it at all. Of course you can use your own hand, pack etc but it's my preference to use the bag if I can.
80434D39-1B7A-40C2-B661-4C5B0BC3D5AE.png

Last edited:
My father and I have a trip to Northern Colorado in a few weeks and I am curious as to what everyone prefers for a rear rest.

I have an Atlas CAL bipod and originally just considered using my pack as a rear rest while shooting prone, but now I am considering buying a rear bag. This will be our first time to CO, so we don't know exactly what to expect.

For those of you that have hunted in Northern CO, how hard is it to get a prone shot? Is the grass usually too high?
small had strap bag

As important as a rear rest is in shooting anything very far, I refuse to carry a dedicated rear bag for any backcountry hunting. Preferably, as much of my gear as possible serves multiple purposes. I ALWAYS have a down puffy jacket in my pack that I keep stuffed in a small nylon drawstring bag about the size of a Nalgene bottle. It's a little more bouncy than a dedicated rear bag, but works extremely well for most hunting situations. Same puffy usually serves as my pillow if I'm backpack hunting, as well as a good insulation layer for cold conditions and supplement for my sleeping bag on really cold nights.

Last edited:
Have a small rear bag from Precision Underground (ELR rear bag) made with their lightweight fill (was a custom request to put this fill in this particular bag which they did for no additional charge). Doesn't weigh much and I'm more stable than when using my hand/pack/etc. Worked perfectly for my 742yd elk last Nov in NM 😊.

Typically, its my left hand with the stock cradling between my thumb and fingers and pressed against my shoulder, or sometimes, it is my left fist under the stock for ease of adjustment.

I have shot a lot of prone matches and training in my life, P-dogs and many other animals and targets using the above, and in those years of competition unsupported prone shooting in Smallbore, Palma and 1,000yd matches, no rests were allowed and your free hand is on the front stock. If you feel you need one, then there are options.

Last edited:
Hunt with a buddy who is shorter than you and use his shoulder as a rest. Just be sure to make the first shot count, he might not like the idea of a second one, especially with you using a break.