What's an acceptable magnification for 1000yd shooting?

all420

What\'s an acceptable magnification for 1000yd shooting?

Heres the deal: I've been hunting in California all my life. Where I hunt the shots are all very close and I've been using a lever action Savage 99 with a 3.5x scope. I'm going to be moving to Arizona this fall (along with a new rifle), and doing a lot of hunting and target shooting down there. Having never shot at very long range targets, I'd like to know what's a decent magnification for target shooting at 1000yards?

Basically I'm trying to narrow it down between a 3.5-15x56 and a 5.5-22x56. I know that obviously the 22x is better for long range shooting, but if the 15x is acceptable, I'll probably go for that just so I don't have to pass up any short range shots if I go back to California or anywhere else by having a minimum magnification of 5.5x.

Re: What\'s an acceptable magnification for 1000yd shooting?

What size targets/objects will you be shooting at 1000 yards?? I use 3.5 x 10 power scopes to 1000 yards and beyond on nearly everything but I'm not benchrest shooting so 1 MOA and under is fine.

With my old eyes, I like 28X to 32X at 1K from a rest. If I'm resting around 400, 12X works for me. I can hold 9X for out to 200. Many will say that's too much, but I have found magnification helps me hit. Now a moving/running target, that's a different story. I think the next scope I buy for where I shoot will be a 5.5-22X56. Hope this helps.
db

>>>What size targets/objects will you be shooting at 1000 yards?? I use 3.5 x 10 power scopes to 1000 yards and beyond on nearly everything but I'm not benchrest shooting so 1 MOA and under is fine.<<<

I'll just be shooting the standard NRA style bullseye similar to thisone

Here is my rule of thumb.

The MarkI eyeball (unaided eye) when young will resolve about 1 moa in average contrast situations.

To maintain this you need about 1x for every 100 yards.

Therefore to see the target with the same resolution at 1000 yards, you need 10x (reason this is most popular sniper power in my opinion.)

However, this assumes a 1 moa target like large game.

To see smaller targets like varmints two or even three times the magnification is useful. So for 700 yard varmints, I would use a 20 or so power scope (typically variable).

Since best rest targets seem to be smaller, target scope of 20 to 30 plus power are often employed in fixed power configuration.

This is also the reason that old Bushnell and Weaver hunting scopes of 4x were deemed satisfactory to 400 yards on large game.

D.
smile.gif

I'm a little curious why you are interested in an objective diameter of 56MM for targets?

Those type scopes, with 30mm tubes are primarily used to shoot wild boar, at night, from blinds.

For your application, I'd consider a 4.5X14 or 6.5X20, both with 40mm objective.

Good hunting. LB

>>>I'm a little curious why you are interested in an objective diameter of 56MM for targets?

Those type scopes, with 30mm tubes are primarily used to shoot wild boar, at night, from blinds.

For your application, I'd consider a 4.5X14 or 6.5X20, both with 40mm objective.

Good hunting. LB<<<

to answer your question (and maybe my reasoning's off), this going to be really my one and only rifle. I'm leaving the Savage for my brother, and the Remington's borrowed from my dad. So basically this scope has to cover all my needs, from stalking California deer under a dark tree canopy to long range target shooting in broad daylight. Would a 50mm objective be better for my needs?

bulldog,
If your going to use it for hunting I highly recommend the 50mm objective. The light sucking abilities are fantastic for low light shots. To get to 1K you will probly want to go w/ a 30mm tube for the incresed elevation abilities or w/ a tapered base. As far as magnification on a warmer/hot day you won't be ble to use all 20X at 1K due to the mirage and will have to dial down anyway.

My personal solution was a 4.5 X 14 X 50 M1 LR from Loopy. Great field of veiw on the low end and I've only had to dial down to 11x once on a 100/100 day (100*f and 100% humidity). It gives me 60 MOA total elevation a whole lot of light for early morning/evening shots and it's bullet proof tough. Kinda big and bulky, but hey if that's the only down side I'm all over it
grin.gif

Cheers
cool.gif

Well, my advice is still to get a somewhat lower profile which makes acquision so much easier, and can only be achieved with an objective bell of 36/40mm. Asuming this is for general all purpose hunting. The 50/56mm models are NOT all purpose, suitable for the one gun hunter.

Quality, well designed rifle scopes with a 40mm objective are very adequate for almost all low light conditions, excepting total darkness. You don't need a huge objective, with all the attendant problems.

If you have a low light mission, such as predator hunting at night, get the big scope with the large objective and the 30MM tube. However, these scopes cost a lot of money, so be sure of your need before making your decision.

That's my advice, take it or leave it.
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

[ 07-23-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

My experience with dual purpose rifles, hunting and target shooting at 1000yds, is a 6x24 or 6.5X20 - 40 to 44mm obj. My favorites include the B&L Elite 4200, and the Nikon Monarch.

Lens coatings and quality are more important the large tubes and bells. I have used these scopes and binos in near darkness for hunting. Their resolution and clarity are wonderful.

With most cartridges, the elevation available in most 1" tubes will work from 100 to 1000yds. You just have to shim your scope to work. I would also recommend the 4X16 Elite 4200 for more elevation adjustment then the 6X24.

Jerry

I like a good amount of magnification.

I hunt in a shotgun only area of NY and have a 2-7 leupold. I always have the thing on 7x.

Last 2 deer were 33 & 56 yards.

No problem at 7x.

I'm now contemplating a 16x mark IV for my 338 lapua. Since I didn't build it to shoot under 100 yards, 16x may be the way to go!

>>>I'm a little curious why you are interested in an objective diameter of 56MM for targets?

Good hunting. LB<<<

>>>>to answer your question (and maybe my reasoning's off), this going to be really my one and only rifle. I'm leaving the Savage for my brother, and the Remington's borrowed from my dad. So basically this scope has to cover all my needs, from stalking California deer under a dark tree canopy to long range target shooting in broad daylight. Would a 50mm objective be better for my needs? <<<<

I think a 50-56mm scope is ABSOLUTELY fine. I do alot of deer hunting as well as compete in long range target shooting. I have found that it doesn't matter how big your objective lens is if you use a sun shade for broad daylight shooting situations. I have a 6-16x56 scope and I use up to a 6" sun shade when I'm shooting in sunny conditions.

I think you're thinking smart about getting a scope to fit all of your needs. You wouldn't want to be stuck with a small scope at night or one without enough magnification for 1000+ yard shooting. Get the biggest and baddest one you can find!

P.S. if you DO get a scope with alot of magnification, make sure it is adjustable (eg. 6-22x56 as opposed to just a 22x56 scope)

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Shrike ]

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Shrike ]

I have used scopes with objective lenses in the 32-56mm range on a number of "hunting" rifles from a 5lb Kimber to a 17lb light 1000yd class rifle meant for PD's. The 56mm objective makes for a huge scope. Fine on the 12-17lb bench guns I've owned, but way too big for anything I thought I might actually carry somewhere. I have found that even the 50mm scopes are just more hardware than I care to pack around on a hunting rifle, other than the one on my 10.5lb varmint rifle. My sporter weight hunting rifles are currently mounted with 40-44mm objective lenses. They gather more than enough light to shoot past legal hunting hours, and they balance well with the rifles I carry around. Buy a high quality scope with a profile that matches the intended use of the rifle and you will be well served. While I am so freely dishing out my opinion let me suggest the Zeiss Conquest in a 4.5-14 as an excellent compromise in magnification, with superior brightness and resolution.
grin.gif

Its better to have more magnification and be able to turn it down, than to not have enough and you can not turn it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.