What's a good size alligator to get full body mount?

13 foot is a big gator. I think Fla state record is 14-15 foot range. Bunch of us from work used to get tags. It's a lottery deal here or a bid system for each wma. Getting a 13' in the boat is a pita. Trapping gators not nearly dramatic as on tv lol.
You in FL? The last gator I took was 10.5' we didn't even pull him into the boat, we tied him off to the side. I love it on TV they shoot them from a distance, we hook them with a rod and reel and hit them with a bang stick.

You in FL? The last gator I took was 10.5' we didn't even pull him into the boat, we tied him off to the side. I love it on TV they shoot them from a distance, we hook them with a rod and reel and hit them with a bang stick.
Louisiana. When trapping gators we throw them in the boat. Kinda hard to drag a bunch. We set out lines and shoot them in the head with a .22. If you watch swamp people that's basically it. However, they try and make it dramatic for tv. If a gator has a hook in his stomach and you yank on the line he's gonna get mad lol. It's very regulated here which is a joke. They only try and protect the big suppliers and keep the price of hides up. Hasn't worked. Prices collapsed last few years. If your riding from Lafayette to BR on 10. Stop at grosse tete. They have a welcome center with a thirteen footer a buddy caught so they could mount it.

Louisiana. When trapping gators we throw them in the boat. Kinda hard to drag a bunch. We set out lines and shoot them in the head with a .22. If you watch swamp people that's basically it. However, they try and make it dramatic for tv. If a gator has a hook in his stomach and you yank on the line he's gonna get mad lol. It's very regulated here which is a joke. They only try and protect the big suppliers and keep the price of hides up. Hasn't worked. Prices collapsed last few years. If your riding from Lafayette to BR on 10. Stop at grosse tete. They have a welcome center with a thirteen footer a buddy caught so they could mount it.
I know that area well. Use to hunt Bayou Blue many years ago.

At least Seventeen Feet. Then you get the full perspective on the size of an Alligator.
You can have a Mount with the tail in a S and the front body getting ready to stand and turning also with an open mouth.. I know a Taxidermy Guy that did his own like that.
You can get the meat out of it while they are skinning and make good money to pay for the mount. Don't let them take your meat.
Alligator not crocodile ! 😉

Male Alligators can reach 16,' 17' this is in GA but very rare. 14' is a trophy.
Would you rather shoot a 200 Class White Tail or a 140 Class.
Now Salt Water Crocks can get up to 20' ++ and some live in Southern FL.
They have a big croc at taxidermist here. Huge. Scary looking. Im not much into scores. I mount it if I like it. Or I'll do a euro . I'd definitely do a euro with an alligator skull
I had two gators when I was young. Not Caiman . A male and a female. Got to 5 ft. and 5.6 ft. Before sold. I made a cement pond with and island in the middle. Male weighed about 75 pounds. I had a 6.6 ft. water monitor (Salvator) for 20 yrs that weighed 55 ponds. And a 17 ft. Burmese python that weighed over 200 pounds.

Last edited:
I was a fl state trapper for a few years. Wild gator hides are not too quality and the meat gets tough over a three or 4 ft except top cuts. They can grow them in farms much quicker than the wild

Thanks

Buck
I agree I think the young one have a pretties hide. In FL the trappers sell the farms the gators now. They don't even have to grow them. Catch them in someone's swimming pool and go sell them to a farm. Thank you for your service and maybe a speeding ticket or five.