Whats a good gun for coyotes??

Andrew, the 22-250 works but if its windy and your going past 300 yards I would look hard at the 6mm on up. I really like the 25-06. I don't know what ammo is available around you or how easy it is getting reloading supplies so you should take that in consideration of what caliber. The Winchester 243 is hard to beat for availability, differant bullet weights and cutting the wind ability. Other calibers you might consider would be 257 Weatherby Magnum, 6-06, 6.5 x 284, 270 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag.

If your already comfortable with the 270 Winchester you can always load it with 90-110 grain varmint bullets or a good hot load of 130 grain bullets. The 270 has been around a long time for good reasons. You start looking at the ballistics and it doesn't take much of a back seat to the long range calibers. Ammo can be found every where and its not very expensive.

I can't imagine you would be shooting coyotes that were in amongst the herd unless they were trying to take down a calf.

Hi Andrew,

I'm from southern Manitoba and was in the same position. I kept my Browning A-bolt 270 for deer etc and bought a cheap Stevens model 200 in 223 for coyotes. I did a little work on the Stevens like lightening the trigger and stiffening the stock (no real cost to this if you search online for the info) and shoot the Hornady 53 grain vmax (my handloads, by you can purchase these rounds from Hornady). The factory barrel shoots less than .5 moa if I do my part.

For $369 plus taxes you can't go wrong. I put a Mueller APT scope on it for around $200 (on amazon.ca). For just over $600 you have a great coyote killer which will be great for saving hides. Find a trapper around that will give you $20 - 25 per coyote (frozen) and you can start paying off your rig. Good luck.

MY DRUTHERS...

If I had a chance to get my Ruger American in 6.5 mm, say 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd have bought it. There is something about the "6.5s" that gives a great BC and terrific long range energy. Just ask long range competitors. .30 cals can't compete well without being hard kickers, like a .300 Win Mag and a 230 gr. Berger bullet, for example.

MY DRUTHERS...

If I had a chance to get my Ruger American in 6.5 mm, say 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd have bought it. There is something about the "6.5s" that gives a great BC and terrific long range energy. Just ask long range competitors. .30 cals can't compete well without being hard kickers, like a .300 Win Mag and a 230 gr. Berger bullet, for example.

+1 on that

Thompson Center Arms out of New Hampshire make Great single shot Encore's and Pro-Hunters thatuse interchangeable barrels from .17 hmr up to .416 in many barrel lengths and weights. Very reliable,well built and value priced. A Pro-Hunter chambered in .280 rem run about $790-850 on Gunbroker.com then you can purchase additional barrel as you want,in any caliber. Just another idea for you to think on,Andrew. Good luck and always enjoy the outdoors...

Thompson Center Arms out of New Hampshire make Great single shot Encore's and Pro-Hunters thatuse interchangeable barrels from .17 hmr up to .416 in many barrel lengths and weights. Very reliable,well built and value priced. A Pro-Hunter chambered in .280 rem run about $790-850 on Gunbroker.com then you can purchase additional barrel as you want,in any caliber. Just another idea for you to think on,Andrew. Good luck and always enjoy the outdoors...
I agree, but a Tikka T3 in anything from 243. to 7mm WSM is a far superior rifle for less than 700.00 USD. Guaranteed to shoot less than 1 moa or correction of that is guaranteed by Tikka. My 7-08 is 1.2" at 200 or better.

I've got a 22-250 that I use on coyotes. I reload also and use 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip for them. Custom tailored this load for my rifle and it is deadly accurate with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.