Whats a good 1000 Yard Range finder?

Good thread with different choices, but I don't see enough info, mainly preferences. Not that that is bad, but I am also in the market.

I see consideration for these 4 rangefinders:

1) Newcon 2000Pro - constant ranging at 1600 -1800yards and in special cond at past yards.

2) there is only two choices for around $800 dollars. #1 swarvoski #2 Leica 1200crf.

3) Bushnell 1500 with ARC.

I know folks that will never buy any scope other than a Leupold, and to ask him about a Swaro gets me nothing.

So my question here is back to the original point of the thread, WHY not any of these?

A) Will they all read to 1,000 yards consistently? If not then which won't?

B) Other than a personal preference for a brand, why would you pick one over another to shoot @ 1,000 yards?

thanks,

edge.

Based on the features you want, and their reputation for dependabiltly. The swaro and leica have a good reputation for a reason. Why take a chance on something with a lesser reputation, spend your money once.

I have a Bushnell 1500 ARC. I have ranged deer to just under 900 yards in good conditions. Ranged a stop sign at 1718 yards resting on the truck hood. I'm very happy with it as it works better than advertised.

1) Newcon 2000Pro - constant ranging at 1600 -1800yards and in special cond at past yards.
2) there is only two choices for around $800 dollars. #1 swarvoski #2 Leica 1200crf.
3) Bushnell 1500 with ARC.
3. Pick the best one for your needs.

This is the way how I chose mine.
You can listen, and listen, and ask questions, and you will get lots of opinions, base on everybody's preferences and experience with this rangefinders.

My point of view is: for the money $500 (Newcon 2000Pro) I have a rangefinder what can range constant past 1500 yards, in any condition at the half of the swaro price.

I got side by side leica 1200 and newcon 2000pro, and I was able to range past leica's limites. Plus leica stops to range in very bright days around 1100yards, and with newcon I was able to got 1700 yards (FOR MY FRIEND DISSAPOINTMENT).
Chris

SNIP
3. Pick the best one for your needs.

SNIP

Not to argue, but your results told me more than I would learn by taking a few minutes in a side by side test. If I used them both on an overcast day I would have never known about the SUNNY day problem until it was too late.

I appreciate ALL of the replies.

edge.

Not to argue, but your results told me more than I would learn by taking a few minutes in a side by side test. If I used them both on an overcast day I would have never known about the SUNNY day problem until it was too late.

I appreciate ALL of the replies.

edge.

True...
You have to setup your shooting limits. How far you can hit a "boiler room" shot by shot. If is les then 800yards than a Bushnell 1500 is perfect.
If is more then 1000 you have to get different rangefinder.
Some of them are 0.4 kg, other ar 0.2kg and small units. You have to pick the best unit for your needs, not for "show up".
JUST GET THE UNIT WHAT IS THE BEST FOR YOUR HUNTING TRIPS.

Chris

Don (longrngesupply.com) stated he used to test Bushnell 1500 Elites before he sold them and about 15 or 20% wouldn't do as advertised. If you buy one, test it right away. If it doesn't work, send it back in stating it doesn't work as advertised and hope they send you another.

The Arc feature has something to do with bullet trajectory and it will only be close, not exact.

I read somewhere else that they get a lot of returns.

I would get a Leica 1200.

I bought the Busnell without ARC. I could not get it to range on rocks or signs beyond 1000 yds reliably. I did get it to range the side of a white painted barn at 1090 yards one afternoon, but that was it.

However, everything 900 yards and below it seemed very repeatable, deer, rocks, automobiles etc...

FWIW. I sold it on ebay after one season, I was expecting it to actually work out past 1200 yards on SOMETHING...

I was expecting it to actually work out past 1200 yards on SOMETHING...

An unrealistic expectation for any of the 1200s of any brand except the Swaro.

I take my Leica 1200 out at dawn and she's good for 1200 99% or the time. As the sky gets brighter continues to fall off until when the sun is directly on the opposite side she's solid 800.

FWIW

I also would throw the Nikon Monarch 1200 in the mix. I have ranged big trees to 1300yds. I still think it is a bit hard to get a reading over 800 yards.

On another note, I tried the Swaro and it took forever to get a reading and was easily tricked by close object just outside the aiming reticle. I didn't like that at all.

Last, I don't see the Leica 1200 LRF here. It is said to be as good as the CRF, but easier to hold still. Anybody, who has used a range finder much knows this is key to ranging over 600 yards.

I would also highly reccomend scan mode. sometimes that is the only way to get a reading in my experience over 800 yards.

As for brush mode, rain mode, ARC, I can do without these. It is said that these modes are for rangefinders which do not have a narrow beam divergence.

I just picked up a Leica 1200 CRF a couple of weeks ago. I had researched the last three months on which one to get. The only one I did not test was the Newcon. I like the fact of the compactibility of being able to carry it in my shirt pocket. Glass and digital read out are very clear even in low light. The bushnell readout is to hard to read in low light. I found you would have to "shoot" the target, and then hold it up to the skyline to read it.
I think for the price, the Leica CRF 1200 is hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.