What you covering the end of your suppressor with in bad weather

DEW

What's your method? Suppressors get hot quick so what you using to cover the end in rain or snow?

Plastic wrap held in place with a rubber band. 3-5 shots doesn't get it hot enough to melt anything. My profile picture is of a whitetail doe taken at 575 yards and it was raining like hell. Plastic wrap kept the water out and didn't affect the bullet flight at all.

I have found tape either gets wet and comes loose or is too thick and affects long range bullet flight if you use something like duct tape. Many say it doesn't, but my mileage varied.

Used to be able to find non-lubricated condoms that worked perfectly. Can't find the non-lubricated kind anymore.

Last edited:
I usually have my barrel covered, though I forget sometimes. When packing in, my rifle is usually strapped in my pack barrel up. That means leaves, pine needles, bark or anything else can get in. I have got to camp before after going under a few trees, and seen a pine needle in the middle of my barrel. When I see a lot of people occasionally talking about missing their first shot for unknown reasons, I sometimes wonder if they had a small bore obstruction, not enough to cause a major issue, but enough to affect impact. I know in my testing, that electrical tape will affect the first shot in every gun I have checked at longer range. On my normal barrels, I use balloons or thin plastic wrap, or if all I have is tape, I will tape it but remove it before I take a longer shot. We put covers on our suppressors, partially for safety, but in large part to prevent extreme mirage from occurring after a couple shots while practicing, or if multiple shots have to be taken while hunting. So in this case, just have the cover barely in front of the can, and cover it with plastic wrap and a rubber band, won't melt to the can because it is protected by the cover, and keeps crap out of your barrel. Just a couple of drops of water in your bore from a light drizzle can cause some issues you don't want.

I use finger condoms, they exist in black and are not lubricated
They might not be enough for a silencer, we are not allowed those here so I would not know. But it will cover a Blaser MB2 which is 3,5cm across and 7 cm long.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 37

Recent Posts