What would you update?

eod.mickelson

Last year I took a Tikka ctr I had and decided to try my hand at PRS/NRL matches. I shot two matches last year and really enjoyed myself and want to shoot a few more this year. I don't hate the rifle, it shoots decently well, but I also feel like theres room to improve. I don't feel like any one component performed exceptionally well but none of them caused me to miss points. So I can't decide what to update first.
I have set aside around $5k to put into my setup. What would you update for a recreational competitior?

Rifle as it sits:
Tikka t3x CTR action & barrel 6.5 creedmoor
Highland canyon brake
Trigger spring replacement
KRG bravo chassis
Vortex PST Gen 2 FFP
Vortex precision matched rings
Atlas Bipod

I only have one bag and it is a Wiebad fortune cookie, which worked fairly well last year, but I think there's better options.
I also have a kestrel 5700 elite for ballistic solver

A final factor to keep in mind, I don't reload/hand load and shoot factory match ammo. I have enough ammo to practice and shoot one match and will have to spend some of that $5k on ammo.

Nice setup, maybe just switch out the shooter 😃. Juuusst kidding! Think about when you're shooting, what seems a little off, the trigger pull, scope picture, etc. So many variables to get just a touch more accuracy.

Nice setup, maybe just switch out the shooter 😃. Juuusst kidding! Think about when you're shooting, what seems a little off, the trigger pull, scope picture, etc. So many variables to get just a touch more accuracy.
You're not entirely wrong! I'm certainly the biggest variable in the equation 😂.
I think the biggest thing I've noticed in the setup is that the eyebox on the pst isn't the best and I really have to spend the extra few seconds that a more generous eyebox doesn't require.
Also, the whole setup wasn't nearly as stable as I'd like it to be, which cost me time stabilizing, but I think weight of the setup, 13lbs ish, probably led to some of that.

One lesson that really stood out is "build a steady position". Different bags can help do this. Different sizes and shapes. Try as many as you can. Most shooters will let you try their bags, and offer suggestions if asked. Then, practice with your equipment. I like a Gamechanger and a Pump Pillow. Pretty versatile.

I highly recommend the Armageddon Gear Shmedium Game Changer heavy fill. I had a weibad fortune cookie, then one day at a match I tried a schmedium. it was the perfect size, and the weight of it and ability to mold its self and become a crazy stable platform to shoot off made me pick up 3-5 more hits that day.

Also, if it is a dedicated PRS gun I would see about changing it to 6mm creedmoor. Ammo is on the shelves, and is usually priced fairly well on the internet. Where as the match grade 6.5CM (Hornady 140 ELD) is either impossible to buy or costs $3 per round.

Recent Posts