What would you pack for a day hunt?

No, I guess I have actually never read the line in the regs about carcass being litter if you dress it on site. Most hunt camps dress their deer and dump their ribs and spines out in the woods. The wolf comment was just a frustrated jab at the mis-guided introduction of wolves, the further misguided management of wolves, and the fact that the complete disappearance of Minnesota moose is blamed on climate change. We are expected to believe the 7,000 wolves have nothing to do with it. Sorry for the hi-jacking. I'm better now.
Totally get it. Elk disappearing in several drainages in Montana had nothing to do with wolves either. Not sure what those large dog-like things we saw chewing on elk calf carcasses in the spring were.

Totally get it. Elk disappearing in several drainages in Montana had nothing to do with wolves either. Not sure what those large dog-like things we saw chewing on elk calf carcasses in the spring were.
that's the Chupacabra we had in texas a few years back guess they went north

So I compiled a list from all the suggestions here. Can someone please carry my pack for me?
Ha the ironic part about that is a lot of my stuff is for when I'm out alone. If my hunting buddies weren't all grown up and out of the house I wouldn't hunt alone.

If I had somebody to help me drag, bone out, share spare ammo, share fire maker, share first aid kit, share a shelter, share rangefinder, share spotting scope, help me or go for help if I fell, etc, neither of us would pack as much stuff.

Last edited:
I have the big one from Alaskan outfitters or something like that, plenty of pockets for the other stuff

These guys?

I use this

I use my binoculars almost all day long while hunting, no matter what state...they go in the case when they are in the truck!
I use a fanny pack with a shoulder harness in the Midwest and a back pack or pack frame depending on the style of hunt in the west.

These guys?

I use this
I also use that - its amazing. Binos, inreach, leatherman, rangefinder, radio, tag, geez just about everything I need is in there.

Wow, RedDirt, 8 pages of thread in less than two days! I guess several of us are really interested in what others pack. And/or sitting in hibernation with nothing to do!

Some are quite proud of what they pack, and some even more proud of what they don't pack. One person can't experience it all, so sharing others' experiences really helps. After reading this I've removed and added a few things on my checklist.

No doubt. This thread has really demonstrated the different views people take into the deer woods with them. Glad I've got until October to parse through it all.