What would you do?

If you really want a versatile hunting cartridge that could take you into an elk hunt if you decide but not be too much gun for the other critters and ringing gongs at the range, I'm a HUGE fan of the .280 Ackley Improved. With a little tuning on stock fitment/bedding, I've been getting 1/4-1/2" MOA out of a stock Kimber and if you had your smith really dig in and put a nicer barrel, you could keep those groups tight way out. Mine loves to eat Hornady GMX loads. It's a one-quiver gun for me too and I actually just took a mountain goat on Sat. with it. Last year a bighorn sheep ram and elk, pronghorn, and deer every year. Down side is that the Kimber platform and action leaves you more limited in the custom and aftermarket space but a Bergara premier long action could be sweet or even a Howa or Tikka long action can give you a solid base to work with that won't break the bank and leaves you open to all the Remington 700 pieces of kit. With any of those actions you can get a nice barrel, tune the action, bed a custom stock and stay south of $2,000.

Brother you won't find another person, who hunts and shoots as much as me, who is any more concerned with recoil and tries to avoid it at all costs.

I have a 6.5 PRC and it's a very light build. Proof barrel, Defiance AnTi action, and very light McMillan stock. It comes in around 6lbs 7oz., without the scope. It does have a brake, but the recoil is nothing...as in literally nothing.....even without the brake I cannot imagine it would be something to fret over. I'm shooting 140's over 57gr of r26...zipping along at 3100fps. So the 6.5 would do the job for u.

However, in all my years, the caliber I reach for most often is the .280AI. I've only owned two but they are the most pleasant to shoot out of anything I have. I'm not a reloader and most guys on this site have forgotten way more than I'll ever know, but the .280ai seems to be a very efficient caliber. I just know mine have had the recoil of a smaller caliber.

I wonder how a light for caliber Hammer, or some other solid, would perform in the .280ai, and if it may extend the range of an ethical shot on a bigger animal, like an elk. I'm shooting 168s over 57gr of 4350 and coming real close to 3000fps......with no flinch recoil, out of a 8.5lb rifle.
Good luck

280AI or 284norma would fit for what you want. 284 has won a lot of 1000 yard matches. There are a lot of bullets in the 7mm arena.

Great information everyone. Soaking it all in.

In regards to how range and a muzzle brake matter to me … I live in Wisconsin and it can be very cold, so wearing hearing protection the entire time I am hunting is not an option. If a buck pops over the ridge at 50 yards, putting hearing protection on at that point is not possible either.

Thanks all
Steve

In regards to how range and a muzzle brake matter to me … I live in Wisconsin and it can be very cold, so wearing hearing protection the entire time I am hunting is not an option. If a buck pops over the ridge at 50 yards, putting hearing protection on at that point is not possible either.

Thanks all
Steve

You can always wear some In Ear Walkers hearing protection ear buds.

Well, one other person has said it already, but I'll say it again because I think it's worth considering. .243 Win. Mine is an absolute deer hammer. You can go long with it. It's been around long relative to some of the others and will have ready availability of components and loaded ammo. I like to shoot copper 85 gr pills, but it will handle 55-127 gr which seems to fit your gap. I am a traditionalist on caliber selection. There are a number of others who prefer more modern and the modern equivalent of 243 Win is 6mm Creedmoor. If you're shooting factory ammo, the 6mm Creedmoor ammo will be loaded with higher bc bullets that will carry speed better at distance, crossover between 200-300 yards normally. All this is non-issue if handloading. The 243 parent cartridge is 308 which is as common as you'll find. The 6mm CM parent is 6.5 CM. I don't think you can loose either way. Good luck with the new rifle!

Just curious, where do you live? Not trying to be nosy, just curious?

I am looking for another rifle/cartridge and am either going to build or buy a "nicer" factory rifle.

Let's start with what I have. I have a Remington LTR in 223 Rem with Swarovski 3-10x42, Remington LTR in 308 Win with Swarovski 3-10x42 and a Remington 700 Mountain DM in 7mm-08 with Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36.

I have thought about building off the Mountain rifle but my son and I have killed a pile of deer and bear with that rifle including his first WI whitetail and bear.

What I am considering. 22 Creedmoor with a 7.5 twist barrel to shoot 80.5 gr Berger, 6 Creedmoor with a 7.5 twist for 105 gr Berger Hybrid or 115 VLD's or 6.5 PRC with a 7.5 twist for 140 and 156 gr Berger EOL.

I do not like a ton of recoil (Rem Long Range in 300 Win with factory 180 was not bad at all). I really don't want to deal with a muzzle break, as a lot of my hunting leads to quick shots and hearing protection would be "difficult".

Although I do not shoot as far as many of you, I would like to get into shooting long range (up to 1000 yards). Targets and hunting to say 750. Primarily coyotes, antelope, deer and maybe a elk hunt or 2.

What would you suggest? I do reload.

Thanks
Steve
277 Sig Fury looks very interesting to me right now... 80,000 PSI rating!

If you really want a versatile hunting cartridge that could take you into an elk hunt if you decide but not be too much gun for the other critters and ringing gongs at the range, I'm a HUGE fan of the .280 Ackley Improved. With a little tuning on stock fitment/bedding, I've been getting 1/4-1/2" MOA out of a stock Kimber and if you had your smith really dig in and put a nicer barrel, you could keep those groups tight way out. Mine loves to eat Hornady GMX loads. It's a one-quiver gun for me too and I actually just took a mountain goat on Sat. with it. Last year a bighorn sheep ram and elk, pronghorn, and deer every year. Down side is that the Kimber platform and action leaves you more limited in the custom and aftermarket space but a Bergara premier long action could be sweet or even a Howa or Tikka long action can give you a solid base to work with that won't break the bank and leaves you open to all the Remington 700 pieces of kit. With any of those actions you can get a nice barrel, tune the action, bed a custom stock and stay south of $2,000.
Hello and welcome to the forum from west central Florida

Thanks all
Steve

MT have adverse weather conditions too! I have hunted -10 to -15F; terrible weather condition to hunt and the games don't like it either. Again, muzzle brakes have never affected my ability to shoot a game from 50Y and up regardless of hearing protection I use. Electronic hearing protection is a game-changer for me, esp. when using face masks/warmers. I started using electronic hearing protection during archery season too because it amplifies my hearing too.

I've been researching the buds you talk about and it sounds like battery life is terrible. How do you deal with that? I can only image that battery life would be even worse with cold weather.