What would you do?

I am looking for another rifle/cartridge and am either going to build or buy a "nicer" factory rifle.

Let's start with what I have. I have a Remington LTR in 223 Rem with Swarovski 3-10x42, Remington LTR in 308 Win with Swarovski 3-10x42 and a Remington 700 Mountain DM in 7mm-08 with Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36.

I have thought about building off the Mountain rifle but my son and I have killed a pile of deer and bear with that rifle including his first WI whitetail and bear.

What I am considering. 22 Creedmoor with a 7.5 twist barrel to shoot 80.5 gr Berger, 6 Creedmoor with a 7.5 twist for 105 gr Berger Hybrid or 115 VLD's or 6.5 PRC with a 7.5 twist for 140 and 156 gr Berger EOL.

I do not like a ton of recoil (Rem Long Range in 300 Win with factory 180 was not bad at all). I really don't want to deal with a muzzle break, as a lot of my hunting leads to quick shots and hearing protection would be "difficult".

Although I do not shoot as far as many of you, I would like to get into shooting long range (up to 1000 yards). Targets and hunting to say 750. Primarily coyotes, antelope, deer and maybe a elk hunt or 2.

What would you suggest? I do reload.

Thanks
Steve
257 Weatherby

I love my 6.5 PRC. Lots of different bullets out for the 6.5 and the PRC pushes them at a very respectable rate of speed. Has been deadly for me on Deer, Antelope and Coyotes. I have not elk hunted with it yet as I have a favorite elk rifle that I cannot stand to leave in the gun safe during elk season. The recoil is very manageable even with the heavier bullets. I am shooting the 124 grain Hammer Hunter and it hits like a freight train. Good Luck.

Consider the amount of bullets available in 6.5. Of the three you listed, definitely 6.5 PRC. However, you could always go for huge powder capacity. Have you considered 26 Nosler?

You need to figure out what you really want to be shooting and how the rifle would fit with the others in your rack...
Check out: ShawCustomBarrels.com
Their custom build tool is a good place to work up a rifle configuration.
It might give you a few ideas to explore further.
I like the 6.5 PRC stats, but I don't own one yet.
Muzzle brake help a lot, but I don't have any yet.
I do ALWAYS have my electronic ear muffs at hand, even for LR hunting.

Muzzle brake is NOT for everybody. Do you wear hearing protection?
I agree muzzle brakes are not for everyone. I only have three rifles that don't have it. Ruger 10/22, a Remingto 700 in 270, that was my sons first and a 62 year old MK V that I am keeping as is.
Tat the range I wear double ear protection (in ear and over ear). On a hunt, I wear in ear.

I was just in the same boat, had .223, 22creedmoor, 280ai, 30-06ai and wanted something in between the 22cm and 280ai. I ended up with a Sauer 100 in 6.5cm. I debated on it a long time and was leaning toward getting a savage action and building a 25cm but got a great deal trading in a rifle at cabelas and didn't have to pay tax on the sauer. On your list, the 22cm is an easy one to shoot, i'm using the 70gr hammer hunter at 3660 fps.

I think you would be very happy with a 6mm creedmoor for Coyote's and deer. They are easy recoiling easy to load for and tune and the factory Hornady ammo is always accurate. Seeing that you already have a 223 a 7-08 and a 308 i would pick the 6mm. I think you could also benefit from a big boomer like a 300 WSM, 300 win mag or 300 prc. I like building rifles but there are some good factory rifles out there now. Christensen rifles are really a great deal for what you get for the money. I like building my own so I don't have the compromises that you get with factory rifles, for example you can pick the stock that fits you best instead of the one they can save the most money producing. With all the pre-fit barrels out there you can put together a fantastic simi custom rifle in you basement. If you are interested is saving money I live in the classifieds section here and find some great deals on gun parts and have put together several awesome rifles with used parts.

A Smith can help you with the recoil pad or most likely a different stock is probably needed, your 7mm-08 should not recoil like that or hardly anything especially with a 120gr bullet load.

A muzzle break especially with shots up close will help you if you need to track your animal or know where it went even. But most likely be able to see it drop on the spot 😉

I was hesitant with muzzle brakes until I shot with one. Less recoil and see the impact of your shots, how can that be bad?

If you can try a friend's riffle with one do it, I doubt you won't want one after that.

As I'm getting back into CF rifles I have pushed away from brakes do to the noise. I like to shoot even my hunting rifles off the bench and as the distance increases I'm swaying back towards using brakes. Just ordered another barrel threaded to allow a brake and better spotting by myself at long range. I have aso had multiple surgeries on my shoulder and back and don't want to induce anymore abuse on them than I have to. From now on I will either thread or buy threaded barrels just to have the option. You can always leave the brake off and put on a thread protector.

Shooting long distance and no brake kind of go against each other as I see it. I understand what you are saying though and its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Haha

I also just bought a set of good quality electronic hearing protection, pretty awsome.

Sounds like you really want two different rifles. 6CM makes tons of sense for the long range shooting and varmint to whitetail range.

Also sounds like you love your 7-08 but don't care to shoot the specific gun it is. I have Rem 700 Mountain Rifle DM in 280 Rem. It's not fun to shoot.

Perhaps consider getting the 6CM for now and then building a nicer more shooter friendly 7-08 or 6.5PRC in the future for hunting purposes. I'd personally do the 7-08 if I were a reloader like you say and just load for game of choice and use a fast enough twist to work for the largest range of bullets you'd plan to use.

Good luck with your choice.

Are you tied to a SA?

I would look at a LA Remage or other action if you want to spend the money on a custom. You could then order prefits for various cartridges including some of the wildcats found on this site as you want to change out. It also gets addicting...

6.5x284 Norma is close to a 6.5 PRC. But you could look to a 25-06, 280AI, etc with the the same. My 6.5x284 is very manageable (less than my 308 with more powder). The 156 Berger was clocking at 2930 FPS in it yesterday...