What would you do?

Nuclear Worker

Ok guys and gals what would you do. Me and my wife both shoot Tikas. Hers is a 30.06 SS lite with aTrijicon 2.5x10x56 mm and mine is a 300 WSM with a Trijicon 5x20x50mm on a wood stock.What would you do first. Would you put a better barrel, a better stock or a better scope on them? Or would you leave them alone and spend the money towards a hunt? Both shoot fine but as i look at articles on this sight I find myself wanting better. It is one of the classic wants and needs situation. HELP!!! Or would you purchase a whole new custom rifle?

First things first, I'd have your wife's rifle rebarreld and chambered in .280 Sherman with a 26" 7mm 1:8 twist Proof Research CF barrel, and I'd have your's rebarreled and chambered for 7mm SS (Sherman Shortmag) with a 26" 1:8 twist Proof Research CF barrel.

Then, new stocks, EGW HD rails, Seekins rings, new scopes, etc...

If you're going to do it, might as well do it right the first time... Buy once, cry once. ;)

Ok guys and gals what would you do. Me and my wife both shoot Tikas. Hers is a 30.06 SS lite with aTrijicon 2.5x10x56 mm and mine is a 300 WSM with a Trijicon 5x20x50mm on a wood stock.What would you do first. Would you put a better barrel, a better stock or a better scope on them? Or would you leave them alone and spend the money towards a hunt? Both shoot fine but as i look at articles on this sight I find myself wanting better. It is one of the classic wants and needs situation. HELP!!! Or would you purchase a whole new custom rifle?

If you read up articles here and try to keep up with the latest and greatest, it is one tall order.

"If" your budget allows it, go "full" custom - acquire the exact components yourself - components that you really want and happy with.

Last edited:
Since you have a wood stock on yours I would bed that one, unless you have a lighter weight goal or a serious long range precision need, the plastic stock will work fine.
I would leave the barrels alone unless you are shooting heavy bullets that need a faster twist, or if you have the desire for another chambering.
Tikka actions and barrels are great, maybe give it some time and see if things really need tweaked

How much money do you want to spend? Any parameters such as weight, distance you want to shoot etc so we can give you a little better suggestions?

Oh boy. Been there done that. I've got a hunch that deep down you really want a custom and you will never truly be satisfied until you scratch that itch. As Feenix advised if you can afford it go full custom. The Tikka are great firearms and will make a good backup rifle to have in the stable. Just my experience from been there done that. Good luck be safe and have fun.

If both rifles work good NW, then go on your hunt.

I'm a 1 rifle fellow sporting a Remmy LR in 30/06, the only change on it was the zero stress bedding and a fully adjustable target trigger. 3.5-14x50 optic.

"But" I found my self at a FTR match last year, so I had a extra long custom LR rifle built for this stuff.

It was pricey, but that's the cost of supporting good times.

When you have the funds and the time is right, go ahead and build or find what you are after since there are alot of shooting sports out there,,, hopefully the build your after will fit in with the regular Harvesting and general plinking thing. That's a plus I add in my builds.

Stay with in your budget, change things up when your ready and enjoy your adventures no matter where they take you NW.

I'll do a few years of FTR, then it's back to the regular harvest plinking and lots of Bon-Fire lawn chair camping time for me.

Keeping it simple and fun has been the bread winner for me and a few others on this forum.

Don from Western Canada

What do you like better shooting or hunting? If it were hunting that's what I'd be doing. I'm not sure of your age but there is a much shorter time frame on getting out there and hunting. You can go shooting from a wheel chair.

Sorta like saying my wife and i fish, should we buy new rods?
And the answer is, YEAH, buy one like mine. lol

As for the wheelchair/hunting comment, please define the description of the word (hunting).
Could it be as vague as the OPs question?

I´d rebarrel them, get new manners EH stocks EGW rails and a couple Swaros with the BT turret.
Tikka actions are among the best IMO. They are super smooth and well built. If the smith does its part, I thing you wouldn't miss anithing from a full custom.
If they are the older model, a new bolt shroud from tikka performance is also a nice upgrade. Their aluminum billet magazines and bottom metals are also very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.