What would you choose to hunt black tail deer

Lab rat

Living on the Oregon coast the majority of the deer I hunt is black tail I just finished my 4th and last custom build rifles now I'm having a hard time choosing what to use my choices are Remington 260 6.5/06 and 270 wsm what would you use

270, there you go--- now you have a vote for each ;-)
All will work fine, which is more accurate? Which do you shoot better? Do you jave tight woods or long hikes? If so does 1 have a shorter barrel or is lighter in weight?
Plenty to consider but it really comes down to personal preference.

What calibers do you have on hand?

Which can you shoot at least 1/2" MOA (or 1" MOA if you're not real fussy)?

I see more than one fellow selling a 'special' purchased rifle for a 'special' hunt that was cancelled, trying to recoup as much of their money as possible, usually at a lost.

I recently tried selling a 1/4" shooting 7mm-08 on this forum for $400.00, threw in $200 worth of extras and got no interest. Why? Because it was in a Thompson Center Compass platform, the ugliest gun he ever saw, so said my gunsmith. (I listed it on another forum for $500.00...it sold in within hours.) The buyer looked past the "Compass" part and saw the performance part.

My point?

Animals don't care if you use a $5,000 rifle or $500.00 TC Compass (or less).

Use what you got and can shoot effectively. And then pass the rifle on down to your kids. They will be proud to have it (or they should be!).

Last edited:
What calibers do you have on hand?

Which can you shoot at least 1/2" MOA (or better)?

I see more than one fellow selling a 'special' purchased rifle for a 'special' hunt that was cancelled, trying to recoup as much of their money as possible, usually at a lost.

I recently tried selling a 1/4" shooting 7mm-08 on this forum for $400.00, threw in $200 worth of extras and got no interest. Why? Because it was in a Thompson Center Compass platform, the ugliest gun he ever saw, so said my gunsmith. (I listed it on another forum for $500.00...it sold in within hours.) The buyer looked past the "Compass" part and saw the performance part.

My point?

Animals don't care if you use a $5,000 rifle or $500.00 TC Compass (or less).

Use what you got and can shoot effectively. And then pass the rifle on down to your kids. They will be proud to have it (or they should be!).
Better than half moa to shoot coastal blacktails? Millions of dead deer up and down the west coast would disagree

Living on the Oregon coast the majority of the deer I hunt is black tail I just finished my 4th and last custom build rifles now I'm having a hard time choosing what to use my choices are Remington 260 6.5/06 and 270 wsm what would you use
2506 or 270wsm killed over 69 black tails in siskiyou county all with 2506 never a problem

Not sure why your choices are so limited? Gunsmith has these ready to go? They are all good choices and I am assuming you are reloading? If you are, I like the 6.5-06 (do you have option for AI.) If you are buying ammo I'd go with the 260. If you are trekking through the woods then again 260. Short action will save you a little weight. I don't own a 270WSM but I have a friend who does and he has feeding issues. Might be limited to his rifle but that's only reason I'm not putting it first.

There's really nothing special about black tail. My experience is around 95% of the ones I've taken have been under 100 yards. My longest was just over 300 yards. Not that I wouldn't like to take one at a farther distance, but I live in a heavily wooded area and they don't always hangout at the edge of a 500 yard clear cut.

I feel your hunting area isn't much different. If so you don't need a custom, an off the shelf riffle will do nice. If that's the case go with the 270. Yes I know we all reload, but if you forget and run out of the house without your ammo, the local hardware store will have you covered.

Maybe you're looking to hear you need a custom rifle. If so forget what I said. There are plenty of more experienced people her to help you spend your money .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.