What would you build?

I would go with the 6.5 PRC for factory ammo availability. If that isn't a concern, the 6.5 Sherman Short is impressive as is the 6.5 SAUM. If you want a 7mm, the Sherman Short gets the nod.

My choices would be:
25SST fast 1:7.5"
6.5SS
6.5SST

I have a 25SST and a 6.5SS. I had another 6.5SS, but sold it yesterday. But, I have all the parts ordered for a new short suppressed 6.5SS as we speak.
I have shot 6SST, and a few other 6.5SSs. All very impressive, low recoiling, fast cartridges for the case size.

Alright guys, I have a rem 700 short action with a magnum bolt face that I do not know what to do with.

I just received my recent build which is a 264 Win Mag (2nd 264 win mag).

I am not opposed to another 6.5 cartridge.

I also have a 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby.

I am just looking for some suggestions of cartridges that would optimize the action given the mag bolt face, and hopefully a caliber (264, 284, 308) I already have.

Not knowing anything about your shooting habits:

Are you married to this action for any reason? Sentimental or low funds?

Sounds like you have a good range of magnum calibers. Have you considered selling the bolt & getting a
replacement fitted with your rebarrel job? If you wanna stay 6.5, a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor would make for a nice target shooting/smaller game hunting rifle.

Or, sell the whole thing & get a long action to build something bigger AND set-up properly to seat long, heavy bullets out where you want to maximize whatever cartridge you choose?

-Rick

Those with factory boxes what can you seat out cartridges to? Then how about with Wyatts box? I'd like a 300 WSM with 215gr Berger Hybrids

My new build will be 6.5 PRC, 700 SA, magnum bolt face, 29" Bartlein Heavy Palma 7.5 twist, and being fed by Accurate Mag AICS Pattern Magazines...SKU: 00100-0006…...WSM/SAUM - 3rd 2.950 OAL

Alright guys, I have a rem 700 short action with a magnum bolt face that I do not know what to do with. It is currently a 6.5 rem mag that is in need of a new barrel. I have always been a 6.5 guy, mainly due to this rifle, and just received my recent build which is a 264 Win Mag (2nd 264 win mag).

I am not opposed to another 6.5 cartridge but I always felt I was limited with this cartridge due to the COAL not to mention brass availability. I also have a 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby so bullet wise those are the 3 that I have a lot of bullets on hand for. I am just looking for some suggestions of cartridges that would optimize the action given the mag bolt face, and hopefully a caliber (264, 284, 308) I already have.

Fire away and thanks for any suggestions.
Sherman short Is what I have been thinking of doing myself recently

I don't know what the machining work to the action would cost but if this setup from Wyatt's works as advertised, it could be a very slick way to turn your Rem 700 SA into a mid length and give you an COAL of around 3.200.

https://wyattsoutdoor.com/product/short-action-mid-length-prc-kit/

As for which cartridge, If the Wyatt's mid length kit works well, and you're looking to get the max from it, I'd think something off of the WSM case would be the way to go.

I don't know what the machining work to the action would cost but if this setup from Wyatt's works as advertised, it could be a very slick way to turn your Rem 700 SA into a mid length and give you an COAL of around 3.200.

https://wyattsoutdoor.com/product/short-action-mid-length-prc-kit/

As for which cartridge, If the Wyatt's mid length kit works well, and you're looking to get the max from it, I'd think something off of the WSM case would be the way to go.
I think the one I've seen before was much shorter length.

Alright guys, I have a rem 700 short action with a magnum bolt face that I do not know what to do with. It is currently a 6.5 rem mag that is in need of a new barrel. I have always been a 6.5 guy, mainly due to this rifle, and just received my recent build which is a 264 Win Mag (2nd 264 win mag).

I am not opposed to another 6.5 cartridge but I always felt I was limited with this cartridge due to the COAL not to mention brass availability. I also have a 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby so bullet wise those are the 3 that I have a lot of bullets on hand for. I am just looking for some suggestions of cartridges that would optimize the action given the mag bolt face, and hopefully a caliber (264, 284, 308) I already have.

Fire away and thanks for any suggestions.

Rich's 7SS without a doubt. One sexy looking cartridge with great performance.

Sounds like a good candidate for a 6.5 PRC to me. Good accuracy, Good bullet selection and reasonably priced to shoot.
Just my$.02

Thanks for the responses! With Christmas and a close friend dying I have had little time to respond. The action does have some sentimental value and I have decided to rule out the 6.5 rem mag. I am going to do some more research on the 7SAUM, SS/SST, and 6.5 PRC. I was originally concerned that I would have to build these calibers of a long action to get any performance. It sounds like that is not necessarily the case. Again thanks, and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.