What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

Re: What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

Roy,

The kicker is modifying that bolt face but Savage does or did offer a 300 WSM Striker so if you got one of those you would be ahead of the game there and that is the only one I would recommend using.

Also, I would fit the barrel via a Rem 700 design, get rid of the barrel lock nut design. With RUM and WSM chamberings, this ring is thinned and has been known to crack if overtightened. WHen they crack, imagine shooting the rifle with the barrel just floating in the threads!!!

Either of the chamberings you list would work fine with either of the bullets. THe 195 gr 270 and the 200 gr 7mm are so close ballistically its not really worth trying to pick one over the other.

At rifle velocities in my AMs, the 195 gr 270 seems to have a slight edge in ballistic performance.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Ernie, Im considering one of the Xp's and Im wanting to take it Elk hunting in Colorado, what is the longest distance you would reccomend taking an elk with in say the 7mm Dak or the 330 Dak? I would love to have one in the 300 H&H but dont know if its feasable. Im shooting the 300 H&H in the encore but dont like the setup of the Encore vs the XP's Ive seen on here. Thanks in advance for the info.
Stacy

Stacy,
I'm not familiar with the 338 bullets and impact speed with elk.
If you intend to use the 300SMK I would ask the guys here what they think is the lowest velocity that still gets good performance and then see what that would be in your 330 Dak.
Then it comes down to your own shooting ability in the field and the conditions that exist when a animal presents itself.
If you have read my posts you know that I popped a cow at 666 yards. I think the 7 Dakota should be fine out to 800-900 yards. I would want to have a spotter when shooting in elk country. I'm giving distance in light of using the 200 grain Wildcat with the 7 Dakota. If hunting for a big bull you may want to shorten the distance some. While hunting this year I told Steve once while we were walking that I was willing to go for anything under 1000 yards, but I know I was real comfortable @ 800 yards and under.
How much of that statement was about my ability on game in field conditions versus the ability of "Puff" I'm not exactly sure.
Since elk hunting this year was the first time to take Puff out I was pleased that my shot opportunity was in the 650 yard arena.
Next year, my primary practice distances will be in the 800-1000 (versus 600 yards this fall) and I believe that will increase my comfort level, and give me a better idea of we can do in field conditions.

Ernie
Thanks for the reply, that was exactly what I wanted to hear...most of the shots Ive presented were around 600+ and I havent shot enough at those distances to feel secure with it yet. I think the 600 yrd will be my limit for a while, get comfortable with it and then move out. Thanks for the help
Stacy

Well It looks Like It Might be a Kin to Puff I will build .
Waiting on my XP action now.In the spring I will Talk to Kirby. Then we Will go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts