what would be considered small game

my tho'ts would be bunnies or hares, not jack rabbits.

No fowl unless they are shot w/a rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mice, moles, shrews, large grass hopers, and big spyders.

Odley enough I remember shooting bumble bees with my pellet gun when I was very young.

When I was 13 I shot a half doven mice in my parents basement, used a 6 foot blow gun w/ darts.

It was the only time other than bear hunting that I set out bait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I shot many-a rats on my dads farm with a 22 rim fire or a 12 guage. I too remember shooting grasshoppers w/ pelets, 22's and even a few w/ an SKS lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I believe that if it's a little critter (with fur) and I eat it after I kill it it'd be small game.

If its a little critter that will not be eaten after its been kil't then its a varmint.

If I'm hunting squirrels and kill one it goes in the crockpot. If there's a squirrel chewing on the corner of my shed and I kill it I leave it there as a warning to the other shed eating squirrels!!

small game

If you can pick it up with one hand and eat it it,s small
game.

But if your Sasquatch/Big foot some deer might be considered
small game.

Every thing else is called Big game or a target of opportunity.

I can still tast that **** crow I saw on another thread.

J E CUSTOM

Do you guys consider javelinas or feral pigs small game? I think they are, but they kind of blur the line between small and big for me.

i'd consider a javilina a varment or pest. i guess if you where starving you could eat one they taste about like they smell. we don't see them on are place the nieghbors pretty much killed them off in our area gots lotts of hogs though.i'd consider feral hogs large game as they can get well over 200lbs and i've seen some over 400. a javilina might get a little over 50 lbs

Last edited:
aren't feral hogs considered dangerous game ? if they are, I'd like to clasify them as big game (or at least hunt them as big game! he he he)

Jack rabbits ARE hares. And they aren't bad to eat at all, just kinda like antelope, you don't want to kill them after they've been runnin'.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.