What wildcat can safely fire 300 win. mag. in a pinch?

CanadianLefty

Hello guys!

Is there a 30. cal. wildcat out there that has greater velocity than the .300 win. mag. BUT can still safely chamber and fire a .300 win. mag in a pinch with basic accuracy (lost, stolen or airline problem ammo)?

Looking for a backup cartridge that might be more widely available worldwide should the worst case scenario happen and have none of my ammo to hunt with.

this may sound like a dumb answer but........the 300win.AI-my-2-dave---and no i didnt see the other posts on this subject til'after i posted my answer-lol

[ 11-05-2004: Message edited by: 6brguy ]

if your mag box is long enought

300 WEA a real great cartridge with enought of powder capacity to fire heavy bullet FAR and very popular so you are able to find 300 Wea closely anyware on this planet

or any IMP on 300 HH IF you are in neck clerance of the factory round , as 308 BAER

other fat case as DAKOTA is not enought popular to be a safe solution

Note : since the 11 september I never travel with gun to avoid to fight with the "NO BRAIN " safety agent in the airports ans loose hours to be " potential treostic " because I have a hunting or target rifle with all paper clear in my luggage .

good shooting

DAN TEC

CdnLefty, no wildcat that I am aware of. The winmag is already an improved case with the shoulder push forward. I would call it a wildcat of the 308 Norma Mag.

If planning to travel, you would be better off with a recognised commercial cartridge. The barrel has to be stamped the same as the ammo. Many countries will only issue permits for cartridges on the 'approved' list. Wildcats don't make that list and these are bureaucrats that know next to nothing about firearms.

If you want more zip then the win mag, the 300Wby is you next best choice. However, neither the Wby or RUM will be well represented outside of North America. You might be better off with the 300H&H.

Jerry

You can fire 300H&H in a 300wby and think those are the only two you can do that in. The 300H&H is the parent case of the 300wby and before Rem or Norma offer 300wby cases the only way to get better cases than wby offered was to fire form them from either 300H&H or 375H&H cases. I use win 300H&H cases myself.

If you had a 300 jarret you could fire a 300 wea in it but the brass cannot be reloaded. When a weatherby is fired in a jarret chamber it fire forms and leaves a very very short neck. Jarret brass can be made with 7 stw or 8mm mag brass. ebb

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts