What went wrong? Opinions needed.

At long range it takes both to be consistent.

In the days before we had quality range finders even the best had to do a lot of estimating and guess work.

The more good accurate tools we have to go along with the experience the more precise we can all be.
Old style rangefinding. 7MM STW back when it was a wildcat. 150BT 3"H @100. If you could see a deer had legs in an open field with your bare eyes, point and shoot. If no legs but looked about same size, hold on back. Further+too far. mil dots didn't work because few deer are 22". Laughable now with the equipment we have, but effective and deadly in the day.

Old style rangefinding. 7MM STW back when it was a wildcat. 150BT 3"H @100. If you could see a deer had legs in an open field with your bare eyes, point and shoot. If no legs but looked about same size, hold on back. Further+too far. mil dots didn't work because few deer are 22". Laughable now with the equipment we have, but effective and deadly in the day.
I've been shooting long range for over 40 years. What we have available today vastly exceeds our capabilities in that era due to the advancements in Tech.

I've been shooting long range for over 40 years. What we have available today vastly exceeds our capabilities in that era due to the advancements in Tech.
Yup. Been looking for the ultimate beanfield and cross canyon rifle longer than that. May not exist. My RUM is close though. Seems like they kick more nowdays. Must be these new powders....

Yup. Been looking for the ultimate beanfield and cross canyon rifle longer than that. May not exist. My RUM is close though. Seems like they kick more nowdays. Must be these new powders....
I'm still shooting 3 STW's. Out of the entire collection they are my favorites. My 300 Rum's are a close second.

Actually the slower burning powders reduce felt recoil as compared to what most of us were shooting 30 plus years ago and you have a higher percentage burn all the way down the barrel vs a rapid explosion and burn mostly in the chamber and first 12" of BBL.

The slower the powder the slower the acceleration and it just keeps getting faster all the way to the end of the bbl till you get to ridiculously long barrels over 30" in large cases.

I got it, I was trying to give you an easy out. Trust me, I know how you feel. I've put the kids of five orthopedists through college in the last eight years.
Gotta hand it to you guys. Haven't hunted in the Mountains out West since I broke my foot about 10 or 12 years ago. Never really healed. Miss it. Now its just beanfields. 900 across my favorite one.

Last edited:
Gotta hand it to you guys. Haven't hunted in the Mountains out West since I broke my foot about 10 or 12 years ago. Never really healed. Miss it. Now its just beanfields. 900 across my favorite one.
I grew up literally on the Tx/Nm Line where I could stand in TX and spit into NM and vice versa. We basically hunted the entire western slope all the way to OK and up into SW/SC Colorado for everything from prairie dogs, to coyotes, deer, antelope and Elk so I had endless opportunities to learn to shoot way out there and do it in the wind.

Today's tech and LR shooting education condenses all of that, adds the ballistics and range finding and enables someone with 1/10th that experience to accomplish things that would have shocked us 30 years ago.

You still have to understand the basics, master the fundamentals or no amount of modern tech or classes can make you a precision LR shooter but they sure can cut the learning curve to success by tens of thousands of rounds and decades in the field.

Just by paying attention to the experienced and knowledgeable people on this website a newbie has access to a thousand times more information and experience than any of us had access to in "The Good Ole Days".

Wittgenstein's ruler applied:
Either the shooter is smart & the device is indeed stupid and broken, or the device is smart & the shooter is stupid.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.