What went wrong? Opinions needed.

......With nothing supporting the butt I will double down on that being the issue. Obviously we can't diagnose this from our chairs but that is the first place I would start. Think about your field of view. It does not take much movement to be off target by 3-4moa and still be able to spot your shot. You need a good solid rear rest.......

Rear support is as important as front.

I know you do not want to hear this but if you consider yourself a true sportsman and hunter, you should respect the animal and limit your shots to shorter distances until you have mastered your marksmanship skills. Do not rely on technology solely for your skillset, develop your skillset through time and practice.

I know you do not want to hear this but if you consider yourself a true sportsman and hunter, you should respect the animal and limit your shots to shorter distances until you have mastered your marksmanship skills. Do not rely on technology solely for your skillset, develop your skillset through time and practice.
Come on guys, he already conceded that he screwed up and is asking for help. We don't need to berate him. Mistakes are what push us to be better.

Point taken. I understand your judgement given the limited facts stated. But, the fault lies in my ignorance, not my character, which is why I'm asking questions. I thought I had this figured out, and it'll be corrected before I try again.

Did you have the bipod on the rifle when you zeroed? Did you verify your drops shooting off the bipod?

I am thinking theproblem was not the shooting solution. One question on the solution though. If elevation/barometric pressure are not correct can cause a couple moa discrepancy.

Steve

Point taken. I understand your judgement given the limited facts stated. But, the fault lies in my ignorance, not my character, which is why I'm asking questions. I thought I had this figured out, and it'll be corrected before I try again.
Never questioned your character, the fact that you admitted your shortcomings in a public forum speaks volumes. I find it quite admirable.

Lots of good suggestions here. One other aspect that can cause shots to go high is if you were shooting uphill or downhill. Were you shooting up or down hill?

I missed a few feet high on a coyote at 600 yards one time. Some how my ballistic app got screwy and gave me elevation in MOA when I was expecting Mils. Didn't realize it until after I adjusted and shot. Probably not the case here, but being that far off with a target that big at the ranges you're talking about...it has to be something major. Check to see if anything came loose? Action screws, mount, rings?

Did you have the bipod on the rifle when you zeroed? Did you verify your drops shooting off the bipod?

I am thinking the problem was not the shooting solution. One question on the solution though. If elevation/barometric pressure are not correct can cause a couple moa discrepancy.

Steve

Thanx, Steve. I did not have the bipod on when zeroing, but I did verify zero with the bipod. I "assumed" that if zero was the same with or without the bipod, then drops wouldn't be affected either. I'll correct that, I will definitely be verifying drops with a bipod. As for barometric pressure, the Geovid corrected for that - it read 22.8 in Hg, equivalent to about 7300' where I hunted.

In all cases at the range, sighting in or practicing, with or without the bipod, the butt was supported with slight down pressure on the fore end. But when I shot at the bull, the butt was not supported and there was no fore end down pressure. As several stated, this seems like the primary culprit. Pull trigger, bullet fires, gun kicks, butt drops, barrel tips up - and then the bullet exits the muzzle. Sounds like it'll be high to me.

Other factors may have contributed, but supporting the butt end in prone position with a bipod will be the first corrections I'll field test.

I missed a few feet high on a coyote at 600 yards one time. Some how my ballistic app got screwy and gave me elevation in MOA when I was expecting Mils. Didn't realize it until after I adjusted and shot. Probably not the case here, but being that far off with a target that big at the ranges you're talking about...it has to be something major. Check to see if anything came loose? Action screws, mount, rings?

It did hold zero well, but I'll check for loose hardware. Good point.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts