What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

Well, I've tried them all. What works best for me is a lightweight 3 season FREESTANDING tent. I like some of the other ways, as in tarps, bivy's etc. but for 2 pounds, you can get a pretty good secure 3 season shelter/tent and for me, it has got to be freestanding. Terra Nova solar competition one person tent.

Randy

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

mtnwrunner -

Have you had any trouble with heavy snow during rifle season in your lightweight 3-season tent?

Nothing real heavy. If I was going where there would be a chance of that kind of a storm, I would most likely take a 4 season tent such as the hilleberg soulo. However, if it was real heavy and a bad storm, I would be beating feet outa there.
One of the reasons that I prefer a tent over anything else, you have that security of a closed shelter and if you place it right, you can eliminate a lot of the snowfall.
One of the nice things here in Idaho which is where I do most of my hunting, the snow is fairly light.

Randy

I voted bivy/tarp combo but actually use a hammock tarp combo Well I thought I did evidently I am not allowed to vote.

Well, I saw that written also but the poll was on the right side of the website page and it let me vote. I had to look for it though.

Randy

10X10 nylon tarp and a ground cloth for spiking out. Wall tent as base camp:)

So , who gets to vote ?

Why would you have a poll and not allow votes?

Whoops! FIXED.

Please try again.

interesting,tipis took a significant leap with the last 5 votes
Tim

Recent Posts