What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
We usually set up base camp with either a wall tent and stove or big travel trailer. Usually only make it there every 3-5 days on the backcountry hunts to freshen up. Live out of a pack with a bivy/tarp

our house we have enough acerage and it backs up to no public access state/blm land we can hunt in solitude and safety
when we hunt out of state {several states every year) then its the lance 1172 slide in hauled by an F350 dually crew cab

I currently run a Kelty Salida 2, but it's heavy and I plan to upgrade to a Tarptent Double Rainbow DW this year or next. Camping here in the mitten state means HIGH humidity and lots of condensation, so single wall is a no-go for me, and I'm ballin' on a budget so I my gear has to fill multiple roles.

our house we have enough acerage and it backs up to no public access state/blm land we can hunt in solitude and safety
when we hunt out of state {several states every year) then its the lance 1172 slide in hauled by an F350 dually crew cab
Your pack have carbon stays or aluminum to strap that F350 to for a backpack trip?

I may try using my Tarptent Notch Li (Dyneema fabric) for hunting if I think the weather won't have too much snow. This tent has a double wall and is held up by my hiking poles, poles that also double as shooting sticks with the QuickstiX adaptors.

If I guy the Notch Li out properly and the fly staked down it will withstand steady 30 mph winds without flapping by my own tests. This tent is not meant for winter camping but it can stand up to all but a heavy snow load.
Otherwise its my Tarptent Moment DW for winter.

I just bought a kuiu mountain star for 2022 season. The new 3+ season version. Have spent a few nights in the old version.

I also use a 1p Easton rimrock that's never let me down.

we hunt 100% private land we dont back pack anywhere we get an animal down we simply drive up to it & haul it out with the sxs or load it in the back of the truck
My point must have had too much sarcasm, I apologize. The question at the top reads "What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?" To which you provided the useful addition of (paraphrasing) "we don't back pack hunt or use a shelter".

My point must have had too much sarcasm, I apologize. The question at the top reads "What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?" To which you provided the useful addition of (paraphrasing) "we don't back pack hunt or use a shelter".
You mean this isn't the Road Hunter's section?