What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Eureka single wall tent has gotten me thru some crazy late Fall Gore range deluges.

I run a big sky international chinook 2. I went away from 1 man tents a few years back after almost 3 days straight in a 1 man tent. I have llamas now to carry my stuff though and thinking of a tipi or a snowtrekker tent with a stove now...Sounds warm and roomy!

Here's the Iota from this past weekend up above Lake Chopaka.

1595364099313.png

About 3 years ago I toyed around (pardon the pun) with a Tacoma. I went bird hunting with it and took one dog. It's not backpacking, but illustrates how you can make do with little. This was my set up-

a6MPbYQ.jpg

I was shooting and scooting. Hitting BLM and Block Mgt. properties for grouse, pheasant and ducks. It was quick to set up and gave me enough room in the cramped bed to sleep.

another hose head here saddled with a CPAP, which has pretty much relegated me to an RV camper with battery and solar charging. Last pack in (horse) trip I did, I had a smaller battery and a small solar panel. There wasn't enough sun to recharge the battery so each night gave me less and less battery.

About 3 years ago I toyed around (pardon the pun) with a Tacoma. I went bird hunting with it and took one dog. It's not backpacking, but illustrates how you can make do with little. This was my set up-

a6MPbYQ.jpg

I was shooting and scooting. Hitting BLM and Block Mgt. properties for grouse, pheasant and ducks. It was quick to set up and gave me enough room in the cramped bed to sleep.

Nice set up brother, but I'd of just stayed in that house; its so close. 🤣

Nice set up brother, but I'd of just stayed in that house; its so close. 🤣

I've been thinking about that- my new neighbors from CA have started an aviary next door- they must have two dozen geese, some ducks, turkeys- you name it they've got it. I could sit in the kitchen with the window open and a .22 short..... :)

Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid XL for the tent. Bombproof and very, very roomy for 1guy. For the sleeping bag, Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Long. Fits my temp range in the Sierras. All of their gear is outstanding and wicked light.

Rockchuck27 I hear you. a few years ago I spent a night and a day in my Tarptent Moment DW solo tent in pouring rain. Not fun.
But now I have an even narrower tent, the 21 oz. TT Notch Li (Dyneema fabric). We'll see how it goes. I can just get my rifle in beside my air mattress.

Duomid until it's getting to be snow season. Mids loose too much space to snow.
Late season I switch to a Tarptent scarp 1+

Honestly, I have found it hard to beat my river country products 2 man tent. 2.5 lbs, and costs $50. Held up just fine backpacking the snowy range in Wyoming for a week.

Chiundits (the Brit equivalent of Merrill's Marauders in WW II Burma)

The SACRP 1 is what I wished I was in when I endured 24 hours in my Moment DW - or my own SCARP 2 for that matter. The SCARP 1 is great for a snowy day with the optional Crossing Poles.

Eric B.