What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
10x13' silnylon tarp & bivy, comfortable for 1 or 2. Prefer pitching without my trekking poles, if it's more than a one night camp......like to have them available in rough country.

In cold weather, I've taken to using a double layer wool blanket to layer the bottom of the bivy, prior to placing the down bag on top, makes a big difference.

A bivy with full bug screen comes in mighty handy in warm weather, when using a tarp.

Currently using a Mountain Smith LT Shelter. Tarp, stakes, hiking poles and ground cloth weigh 2.6 pounds and is crazy sturdy in high winds.

2 man Big Agnes Copper Spur UL. Under 3lbs. Room for all my gear when the weather is too bad to leave it under the vestibules. I usually pack in for 7-10 days so there is usually quite a bit of gear...

Heavy duty tarp stashed at a base camp. Bivy under tarp. Work for me.

D01DCD6B-967E-41E3-8A3D-F55A0464B5EE.jpeg

If I had the "disposable income" I'd get a Tarptent Notch Li (Dyneema version of the original silnylon tent). It has a double wall and enough space inside for me and my scoped rifle.

It's about 1 pound less weight than my current Tarptent Moment DW solo tent.

Eric B.

Welcome to moose camp in northern Saskatchewan Canada.. +40 to -40 C one can go wrong.. it weighs a ton but its home for a month every year.. the wife even loves it..lol

Attachments

• 20200125_235328.jpg
    20200125_235328.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 357
Tipis with a stove are an absolute game changer. Occasionally have even packed a small chainsaw into places during the summer to prep wood for the stove in areas you know you will be in.

I have two very nice north face pack tents the wife got me. I actually leave them home for this one. An $89 tent on Amazon I ran across. Love it.
C090C22E-C8EE-465D-81BE-AA11DCFBAF48.jpeg