What type of bullet did you use on your last elk?

What type of bullet did you use on your last elk harvest?

• Monolithic Solid Copper - Barnes, Hammer, GMX, E-Tip etc.

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • A-Frame / Partition - or similar construction.

Votes: 20 7.0%
  • Premium Bonded Lead Core - Interbond, Accubond, Scirocco, Woodleigh etc.

Votes: 61 21.3%
  • Low Cost Traditional Copper Jacket Lead Core - Core-lokt, Interlock etc.

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Ballistic type hollow point with polymer tip, Hornady SST, ballistic tip etc. non-bonded

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Ultra Low Drag - ELDX, Nosler RDF, etc. anything designed primarily for drag coefficient

Votes: 74 25.9%
  • Target /Match grade - Any bullet primarily designed for match grade accuracy above all

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • Round nose, Flat nose, dangerous game etc. you like to hit them with bricks...

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Not sure, didn't matter because they all kill pretty much the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Different bullet that doesn't fit a category. Excluding, arrows, trucks, spears ;)

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
If you are doing everything write pass on what everyone else is doing. Most people do what the magazines or internet experts are doing. That means they are wrong over 85% of the time. Trendy does not trump engineering! The largest chunk of any group in modern times will almost always be doing things wrong because of how they fail to question the experts and the industry. Group think and trendy should always be avoided in any endeavor where a life is on the line! The animals life and giving it a painless dignified death is important too!

I love Berger bullets for paper punching but they are dreadful on an animal. The best bullets for hunting are the ones a target shooter would never use!

I know how hype and untested designs are thrown about these days, but this sounds like a leafy, high level evaluation with very little specifics. Everybody respects your personal opinion but it certainly conflicts with the numerous positive reviews of Berger bullets and their performance on game. I try to keep it to facts and data.

If you are doing everything write pass on what everyone else is doing. Most people do what the magazines or internet experts are doing. That means they are wrong over 85% of the time. Trendy does not trump engineering! The largest chunk of any group in modern times will almost always be doing things wrong because of how they fail to question the experts and the industry. Group think and trendy should always be avoided in any endeavor where a life is on the line! The animals life and giving it a painless dignified death is important too!

I love Berger bullets for paper punching but they are dreadful on an animal. The best bullets for hunting are the ones a target shooter would never use!
No Problems with Berger's for me in the 5 years I've been using them......dozens of one shot kills including whitetail, hogs, and Elk.

My last elk was taken at 764 yds with a 338 Rum shooting a 250 Berger OTM. 3020 fps. I have also taken several African plains game animals with this rifle shooting the 250 SMk.

My last elk was taken at 764 yds with a 338 Rum shooting a 250 Berger OTM. 3020 fps. I have also taken several African plains game animals with this rifle shooting the 250 SMk.

sorry, but what is "OTM and SMk?"

I know how hype and untested designs are thrown about these days, but this sounds like a leafy, high level evaluation with very little specifics. Everybody respects your personal opinion but it certainly conflicts with the numerous positive reviews of Berger bullets and their performance on game. I try to keep it to facts and data.
I agree with you completely, which is what so many people on here have been doing, but you aren't giving any facts or data??? Many people on here are giving "real life" hunting experiences. So tell us yours, that's so detrimental with the Berger bullets, please?

I agree with you completely, which is what so many people on here have been doing, but you aren't giving any facts or data??? Many people on here are giving "real life" hunting experiences. So tell us yours, that's so detrimental with the Berger bullets, please?

I think you meant to quote somebody else in your post. I effectively use and like Bergers. Not detrimental at all.

I used
On a cow 235yds a 7mm 168g berger classic hunter at 2925 mv.
On a bull 502yds a berger 230g otm hybrid 30 Cal at 2810mv
Both worked perfectly neither elk took a step.

My last elk 510 yards. .308 Baer 2950 at the muzzle. 212 eldx. Behind the shoulder just a little bit far back. Never knew what hit him. About 8 to 10 inches of snow, kind of cool to see him slide down the hill like a big toboggan for about 50 to 75 yards. The bullets I have got back have been a mushroom. Very happy with performance of them so far.

Just got my latest elk on Saturday (shoulder hunt here in Montana), .270 Win. 150gr. Hornady interlock, 2800 fps., about 100yards. Quartering away sharply, shot in ribs, exited front of neck. Elk spoon a round in a circle, hit the ground never got up. Elk before that 35 Whelen 220gr. speer, 2500 fps., about 100yards, hit in chest, hart exploded, bullet must have split as there was a exit out the back of neck. Elk drop right were she stood and never moved. Elk before that one, 300 Win. Mag. 180gr. Win. power point factory load, about 400yards, hit high in back bone above shoulder, she took two short staggering steps fell and never moved.

Mtmuley what bullet do you use. I think I know what it is and would be very interesting to know your experience with it. Thank you and have a great night

Pick the bullet that most correlates to a choice.

Also if you have a chance, tell us the muzzle velocity, and how did it do? Also note the impact velocity and range if you can.

Thanks for providing this info. As a long time elk hunter i'm trying to look outside my box and see what others are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts