What twist

4xforfun

How slow of twist can a guy get away with....338 lapua...300SMK. I have a friend who has an AR 30, and we have it shooting great with 250SMK's. I am itching to try a 300 SMK in it, but don't know if it is worth the effort. I think the AR 30 has a 1-12" twist, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen the rifle for a while, but if I'm not mistaken we had to seat the bullets a little deeper than I like due to mag length restrictions.

Anyone try the 300SMK in an AR 30??

300 smk will work great thats what I shoot in my ar-30 seat the bullet out to just fit in the mag.I use retumbo powder very good combo.
It is 1 in 10 twist VERY HAPPY WITH MY AR-30.:D

i have heard that some 1k shooters are using an 11.5 twist with good results. i would be very surprized if your AR has a 12 twist. i'd bet the farm it's a 10.

Like I said, the Ar 30 that I did the load development for was not mine. If you guys say that it is a 10 twist, then I believe you. I thought I had red somewhere that it was a 12.....my bad.

Now....I know a 10 twist will do great with the 300 SMK. The problem is, after we found the load for it, he bought 500 250 smk's, which we haven't used many of yet. But...he also has a WBY MK 5 in lapua with a 1-12. He still can use them. I will say that I was more than a little surprised at how well that HOMELY thing shot!!! Pretty much everything went into 3/4 inch groups, with the final load coming in at 1/2 inch @ 100 (3 shot). Poor bag gun, cleaned up like a dirty chiminy, but it seemed to shoot!! We were only around 2875 fps if I remember right. But he is having trouble shooting way higher than the ballistic program says, so I might have had chronograph troubles. I think that I needed to punch in about 3050 to make the POI match the computer.

To be honest.....deep down..... in places only I know about....I was/am considering an AR 50 :eek::eek:. Now there's $5000.00 that I'll never get back!!!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts