What twist?

RCMSTER

I need a twist recommendation for a 25-06 to be able to stabilize the hammer 116 grain and/or the 121 grain hammer hunters. The 1-10 twist that my Winchester 70 isn't doing it. At a hundred yards, accuracy is not good at best, and just not acceptable. Thanks

Thank you. As a follow-up question, if I go with a 7 twist, would/could that over stabilize bullets of conventional construction, and cause accuracy issues as well?

First of I'm against over rpm'ing bullets. The faster the twist rate the more resistance to the bullet traveling down the barrel. So you get higher pressure and decreased velocity.

The other fact is that higher velocity decreases the need for low number twist rates. Example a 16 inch barrel .223 can shoot a 55 grain bullet fine. Take the same bullets and put them in a 20 inch barrel and they fly through the paper sideways at 100 yards because of the velocity increase.

Shilen sells a 27 inch 9:1 257 barrel or at least they used to. That works very well for my buddies 06 and 115 Bergers. The 121 is longer, but might work fine going faster.

First of I'm against over rpm'ing bullets. The faster the twist rate the more resistance to the bullet traveling down the barrel. So you get higher pressure and decreased velocity.

The other fact is that higher velocity decreases the need for low number twist rates. Example a 16 inch barrel .223 can shoot a 55 grain bullet fine. Take the same bullets and put them in a 20 inch barrel and they fly through the paper sideways at 100 yards because of the velocity increase.

Shilen sells a 27 inch 9:1 257 barrel or at least they used to. That works very well for my buddies 06 and 115 Bergers. The 121 is longer, but might work fine going faster.
You can't over RPM a Hammer and the drastically reduced PDR negates the high pressure

There are tests in the works now using Fast Twist, High Velocity with a wide varity of Hammer Bullets and all results to date have shown substantial gains in SF and TSF with the increased twist with no negatives anywhere else across the board
Ok, so now I have another follow-up question for you. What does PDR, SF, and TSR mean. That's probably a dumb question, but just consider the source. Thank you

Thank you. As a follow-up question, if I go with a 7 twist, would/could that over stabilize bullets of conventional construction, and cause accuracy issues as well?
No there isn't a thing as too stable. Some light jacketed(read varmint) bullets may explode when ran too fast a twist. But what does it matter? Why invest money in a rebarrel to shoot boutique bullets and worry about other bullets?

Your example is incorrect.
For a given twist rate when you increase velocity you increase stability.
Example, shooting a xx grain bullet through a 16 inch barrel is less stable than the same bullet being shot through a 20 inch barrel because of increased velocity.

No there isn't a thing as too stable. Some light jacketed(read varmint) bullets may explode when ran too fast a twist. But what does it matter? Why invest money in a rebarrel to shoot boutique bullets and worry about other bullets?
Wasn't talking about varmint bullets. I was referring to other hunting bullets in the 115-120 gr range.

I understand that you are looking at 115 to 120 grain bullet. The example of a 55 gr bullet turning sideways I find that hard to believe. I am shooting 55gr bullets @ 3900fps and never had a problem with bullet turning sideways and going out 400yds for ground squirrels. I would be more inclined follow ButterBean on this.
My favor load for the 25/06 is 120gr bullets, but in Nosler BallisticTip ( not made any longer). When I stepped up to elk, I went to a larger caliber rifle, and haven't use the 25/06 since then.

Last edited: