What Trigger is This?

LDHunter

I bought a Remington Custom Shop Model Seven AWR II a couple years ago. This is the Alaskan Wilderness rifle NOT the American Wilderness rifle. It's a true Custom Shop Rifle.

I LOVE the rifle and it's a sub MOA rifle that weighs less than 6 pounds.

BUT!! This dang trigger is giving me fits and I'm wondering what the heck kind of trigger it is. It seems to be externally adjustable (see pics) but backing the set screw out gives little if any change in pull.

The Custom Shop used to use 40X triggers which were pretty dang good but this one... Well... I don't know whether to just replace it or maybe I'm not holding my mouth right.

Also the more I back the adjustment set screw out the more it gets in the way of my trigger finger. <sigh>

Trigger_What.jpg

Trigger_What_2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an X-Mark Pro trigger to me. Many people complain about the stupid set screw being in the way. I have one on my Model Seven and I just removed the screw entirely. Trigger pull is around 3-4 lb and surprisingly crisp for a factory trigger. The spring behind the screw is captured so there's no harm in removing it. You'll probably notice a change in trigger pull if you screw that thing in a bunch because its a fairly stiff spring.

Looks like a x-mark to me as well. I usually replace them with the old walker style that I've honed and polished or a Timney. Flea-bay has been the best place to get rid of the x-mark's for me. I will be using a triggertech trigger on my next build. May be worth a look.

I kind of figured it was an Xmark. Dang it.... How can they in good conscience charge $3500 for a rifle with a piece of crap trigger in it? I can't imagine where the excellent 40X triggers went but they were at LEAST as good as a Timney or Rifle Basix.

Of course I bought it before the huge price jump so I'm not heavily invested.

Appreciate your help guys. I'll remove that set screw next time she's outta the gun safe.

This rifle is one of many Remington Custom Shop rifles I've owned but it's my favorite of all of them. Trynite finish, stippled stock, fluted barrel, jewelled bolt, subMOA out of a sub 6LB rifle. What's NOT to like for a hunter that loves light carry guns?

$bob$

For a hunting rifle I don't think the X Mark is too bad. I've only used maybe 3 of them, but all seemed to break nice and crisp. The downside is you cannot adjust them down very far, and they're riveted together so you can't swap out the trigger spring. I'm happy with the one on my light weight Model Seven since it isn't much of a bench gun. The Sendero and 5R had the triggers changed out for Timneys.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts