What to get in .243

220vssf

I have been looking at a very nice weatherby mark V lite stainless syn.I want this type of equipment but wonder is there anything out there that i`m overlooking. I don`t want too heavy but also don`t want to be at the loss of a spot of long range varminting...I thought the flutes would be of help
confused.gif

Well, I've never owned a Weatherby, but they seem to have a reputation for underwhelming accuracy, from what I've read and heard. On the other hand, Sako, Tikka, Remington, and Kimber all make similar rifles that are reputed to offer very good to outstanding accuracy, depending on the individual rifle. In researching my first custom rifle several gunsmiths discouraged the use of the Weatherby saying they were difficult to get to shoot even with "accurizing". I've owned two .243 caliber rifles, one a Kimber that I haven't shot yet, and the other a custom that was wickedly accurate. I found this caliber to be a really effective varmint round.

I have the Wby 257 Accumark and have enjoyed it. It will out shoot me most days. I'm just waiting for a whitetail to cooperate and pose for me within 600 yards. I haven't spent long sesions on the bench going for groups because of the barrel heating up rather quickly, but it killed several clay pigions at 710 yards. My buddy has the Accumark in 338-378 and was doing well at 710 yards when it got too windy (10-30 mph gusts from 9:00) for me to be consistant. I found the X-bullet to shoot the best. This follows since Wby is reputed to have a lot of free bore and Barnes sugessts keeping the bullet .050 off the lands.

Best of luck with what ever you decide to go with.

Rick

I just got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in a .243 and absolutely love the rifle. It shoots dead accurate straight out of the box. You will love the rifle as it is barely over 6 lbs and has hardly any recoil at all. The action is very very smooth.

bird

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.