What to feed my 25-06

tom baker

Im building a 25-06 with a douglas 28" air gadge barrel on a 98 action. I have no experiance with that cal but heard it was a flat shooter. I thought someone may have somthing simular that I could start from.
stitchnull

You're on the long range forum, welcome. My 25-06 Sendero is my LR golfer getter (if they have a caddy with them I suggest 61 grains). Put 59 grains of H4831 behind a 75 grain V-MAX and you'll be in there.

Thanks a lot, I have not used H4831 in a while so it will be nice to use something different, I have got stuck on IMR so I need to expand my horizon.
Tom
grin.gif

I have a 25-06 and these are the loads I use. All are loaded into the rifling.
115gr Berger vld moly with 55gr Re22 3150fps
87gr TNT moly 58gr Re19 3595fps
85 Nosler Ballistic Tip moly 58gr Re19 3607fps
All loads shot great however I did get expansion or should I say lack of expansion from the TNTs that is why I switched to Nosler.

H-BAR thanks, I have been testing some RL19 in my 300win and was planning on picking up some 22 this weekend so this will give me some other options. The only thing I have tried so far was IMR 4831 with 100gr sierra's, it sucked.
Tom

SEMPER-FI

Stitch the IMR 4831 is too fast for the 100gr
It does shoot well with the 85gr noslers and the 87gr TNTs. Even though the TNTs shot good their expansion performance leaves a lot to be desired. Some of my woes may have been the moly coating I used. It does not allow the rifling to etch the bullet as much causing less expansion. Re22 will work fine for the 100gr bullets. In reflection I noticed you said you tried the Sierras. The ones I bought when they first came out would not fly for me either. This was when I learned to inspect bullets because the quality of these bullets were in the catagory of junk!!! They had eccentricity not concentricity. If you must shoot 100gr bullets then shoot the Noslers. I haven't ever gotten bad Noslers. The Bergers are awesome too. I didn't have my new rifle for shooting at Williamsport so I shot my Ruger in 25-06 which is usually my woodchuck rig and it shot 10.4 inchees at 1000yds. I know that is not spectacular but I didn't think it was bad for a stock Ruger target/varmint with the only mod being a KDF break. That load I typed down before with the Bergers will group in the end of my pinky at 100. I actually think that the gun was much more capable at 1000yds than me. But anyhow the Bergers are what I used at Williamsport. Good luck!!!

Hi H-BAR, thanks again for some great info, I just got back from popin some caps. Only 300yds, here in western Oregon coast hills its hard to find 1000yds thats flat! Im going sunday to get some noslers as I use them in all my guns I hunt with, I have never had one fail me yet. Hope Hope Hopfully I will get drawn for a speed-goat this year, so I can try that 2506 out on it. We dont have woodchucks out here, we have what we call sandrats about 4" tall they look pretty small at 300yds
grin.gif

Tom

Semper-Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.