What to do??

BCinKS

I have a 6/284 Stainless 700 action,lilja 1/12 barrel,mcmillian tooley stock,Hart 2oz trigger.Should i rebarrel to 6.5/284?Or should i sell and get more of a hunting/tactical type of gun? I want to shoot coyotes and deer/antelope to 800yards.I am fairly new to long range shooting, but I have shot coyotes ,antelope,and p-dog to 500 yards.I already have a 7stw sendero,and a 6mm VLS.I just need to do something with this gun,either sell it or rebarrel it.

I'd rebarrel it , maybe a new stock and heavier trigger for hunting , you could probably seel what you have to buy new stuff like the stock and trigger. You already have money invested in the Blueprinting of the reciever(I assume) that'll be money lost if you sell it. A new barrel in 6.5mm 1-8 twist will get you to the 1000yd targets with several rounds , and from what I hear deer are not a problem out to 600-700yds with the 260 or 6.5-284
In fact I was looking at the balistics of the 175gr SMK out of a 308 and the 140gr A-max out of a 260 and the 260 beats it hands down in power and trajectory , I would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 1000yds with my 308 in the angle were right so I guess the 260 would do as well or better , on paper anyway

Depends on what you want to do!

You already have the Sendaro, why not just use it? Like JD says, I wouldn't get rid of that action, but the 6/284 is very "over-bore", hence the invention of the 6.5 version. Otherwise just use it till the barrel is used up, which could be very fast with several "strings". Did you have this rifle built? What was the intention? Long Range BenchRest? And why the decision change?

And the biggest question-What do you have money to DO? As JD says above, a 308 should be good to at least 6000 rounds, many have made it to 10,000. The 260 would last to 3000 (A GAP would definatly last that long), but that 6/284 won't make it to 1200, and the 6.5/284 will just get there before accuracy starts dropping off. Its a choice, I guess.
What do YOU want to do? Oh yea, Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just sold the gun,and now have around $1300 to spend.I would like to find a tactical/hunting rifle in a medium bore 6.5-30 cal.Could i get a savage built for close to that ,and would it be a good set up?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.